Musicians you like..but aren't played on mainstream radio.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been playing guitar for over 20 years and have really been impressed by new talent coming out these days. It's so hard to keep up with all the upcoming artists but I sure try. Here are a few I have grown to love over the last 20 years and are not on radio. So being a guitarist,.. these suggestions are guitar based....

Robben Ford is a great Blues/Jazz guy that has been around for a long time. He adds just enough jazz into his blues and really makes it work. Listen to his lineup with Robben Ford and The Blue Line.

Joe Bonamassa. He gets zero radio play but I have seen him every time he comes to Oklahoma. Been seeing his shows since my first one in 2000. The kid (was a kid,... now he's in his late 30's) can flat play and can adapt to any style. Plus, his main axes are Les Pauls,.... REAL Les Pauls. He tours with 2,.. yes TWO 1959's,.. a 1958 and a 1960. Those four guitars are worth over a million $$. How cool is that.

Jeff Beck. I know he's a famous name but he gets next to no radio play. He is an old school master of guitar.

Gary Clark Jr. An Austin guy that has made a name for himself. Real cool rootsy blues playing.

Speedy West Jr. He is no longer with us but one of the greatest friends I can say I ever had. Not only musically,.. but as a person. His dad was Speedy West (duh) the famous steel player. Speedy Jr. (Gary) went his own path and never did what was 'expected' of him. My biggest guitar mentor and a complete monster guitar and steel player. I was lucky enough that he asked me to play in his band with him for 3 years. I learned more about not playing (listening) than I did about what chords and scales to play. Speedy Jr. just loved to play and had no issues with playing bar gigs for a living. He could have toured with Toby Keith early in Toby's career and Speedy said nah,.. I'd rather sleep in my bed at home every night. Not many pickers would pass up that opportunity. I miss my friend but when I listen to his music,... he still gives me playing advice.

Just some of my quick suggestions.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Robben Ford is a great Blues/Jazz guy that has been around for a long time. He adds just enough jazz into his blues and really makes it work. Listen to his lineup with Robben Ford and The Blue Line.

Joe Bonamassa. He gets zero radio play but I have seen him every time he comes to Oklahoma. Been seeing his shows since my first one in 2000. The kid (was a kid,... now he's in his late 30's) can flat play and can adapt to any style. Plus, his main axes are Les Pauls,.... REAL Les Pauls. He tours with 2,.. yes TWO 1959's,.. a 1958 and a 1960. Those four guitars are worth over a million $$. How cool is that.

Jeff Beck. I know he's a famous name but he gets next to no radio play. He is an old school master of guitar.

Gary Clark Jr. An Austin guy that has made a name for himself. Real cool rootsy blues playing.

Speedy West Jr. He is no longer with us but one of the greatest friends I can say I ever had. Not only musically,.. but as a person. His dad was Speedy West (duh) the famous steel player. Speedy Jr. (Gary) went his own path and never did what was 'expected' of him. My biggest guitar mentor and a complete monster guitar and steel player. I was lucky enough that he asked me to play in his band with him for 3 years. I learned more about not playing (listening) than I did about what chords and scales to play. Speedy Jr. just loved to play and had no issues with playing bar gigs for a living. He could have toured with Toby Keith early in Toby's career and Speedy said nah,.. I'd rather sleep in my bed at home every night. Not many pickers would pass up that opportunity. I miss my friend but when I listen to his music,... he still gives me playing advice.

+1000, all of those guys. Especially Jeff and Joe. (I have a pretty sporty collection of REAL Les Pauls myself. There are several on my Facebook page).

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Im a touring and recording metal/hardcore/industrial/instrumental-fusion guitarist as well as a bigtime fan of all types of music and none of my music or the stuff I listen to get played on mainstream radio. Just the way it is). I like non mainstream music of all types. Matter of fact, if its on the radio then I usually dont like it as much. Ive met Keene. I have been to literally 100s of the Reverends shows- years ago when I moved from California to Iowa he would be playing in Minneapolis and we would be in Des Moines and hear he was playing there and a bunch of us would jump in the car and run up there to catch his shows. We play Hank 3rd alot, even for the metalheads at the shop. I moved to Tulsa mainly for my wife but also for the music and especially to track down Junior Brown who was supposed to be living in Tulsa at the time. He slays me with the guit-steel. Now, for old skool folk and country, here is an up and coming guy who I really like and also know a little. A friends label promotes him. You can catch him around Tulsa and the surrounding area, for now. http://www.last.fm/music/Wink+Burcham

Saw Junior a few months back at the Cain's. Slayed.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bleu Edmondson
Rich O'toole
Ryan Bingham
Whiskey Myers
Wrinkle Neck Mules
Turnpike Troubadors

I like these guys a bunch I also love
Chris knight
Jason boland
Hank lll
Kyle park
Jerry Jeff walker
Owen temple
Corb Lund
Drive by truckers
Johnny cooper
And a host of others that will probably never get main radio play but thanks to spotify I don't care.
Oklahoma radio just plain sucks.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom