My 1903A4 Sniper rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weren't the serial numbers marked parallel to the bore axis on the receivers? I thought that was done so the serial number was readable with the scope base installed. It's been awhile since I read through Brophy's book.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 1903A3 that I inherited from my Uncle and I have never done anything with it. It may be reman'd but looks fine. I have never shot it. It is still in cosmoline. The action has the opening for the perdersen device too. I may just leave it alone and play with my other toys:hot:

I believe you have an 1903 not 1903A3 but that is still very cool. You definitely want to preserve that.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How would I tell if it was a "True" '03A4 ? Since the only difference is lack of sights, and a scope, I really would not care if it was a "Repro" but wish there was a way to know more about the gun's history. I do know the scope base, and I'm pretty sure the scope, are accurate to a 1903A4.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mitch, ldp4570 posted the serial # ranges of the 03A3 that were made into 03A4 sniper rifles. Also, the serial numbers were marked on the receiver parallel to the bores axis so that the serial # isn't obscured by the scope base.

It looks like you have a pretty decent looking sported from the pictures you posted. There are still parts available if you want to convert it back into military configuration. Numrich and Northridge had NOS C-stocks awhile back. Sarco has the other small parts you might need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom