My current project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was some interest when I posted about fuel filter location, so I figured I would make a thread.

I was at an auction, and saw something that piqued my interest, and put in a throw-away bid. Wasn't much interest in it, maybe because -
As received #4, LH interior.JPG

As received #1, RH interior.JPG

But, all the glass was in it, and the (black) tag was good. Clean Oklahoma title. Who could resist a face like this ?
P1010429.JPG

And, all this stuff was included, no extra charge -
P1010432.JPG

Hard to pass up a deal like that.

Apparently nobody else thought it was worth my throw-away bid (aw hell, I ain't gonna by it for that...), so I own it. Ahem...

It's a 9th generation (circa 1998-ish) Suzuki Carry. 660cc 3 cylinder, carbed engine. 4 spd manual, 4wd with a hi-lo transfer case, and a locking front diff. Been sitting for some indeterminate amount of time.

Here we go.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the interior cleaned out, and looked at what I had. It seems that most of the parts are there, but I'm missing the assembly instructions. And, I've never so much as actually touched one of these . Ever.

Mostly cleaned out, RH interior.JPG

Kinda makes one wonder where all those wires go.

I got to digging around, and I think I've discovered some of the problem...
Electrical problems #1.JPG
Electrical problems #2.JPG

Electrical problems #3.JPG

I'm not a huge fan of electrical work, but it seems that I'm going to be doing some.

I got it mostly patched up, and the dash is temporarily installed, for the second time.
Dash is in, sort of. 2nd install, LH.JPG

It seems most of the problem is that someone wanted more lighting. Instead of doing it correctly, with relays, etc, they just whacked at the factory wiring. Lucky it didn't just go up in flames.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pulled the bed off, the better to access everything. Engine is mostly in the cab, the trans/xfer case is out behind.
Bed off LH, TRA -TSC etc..JPG

The air conditioning condenser (!) can be seen at the top of the pic. This thing has A/C !

Both driveshafts can be seen, the front shaft is sorta under the trans in this pic.

So far I've pulled the plugs and checked the engine turns over. Changed oil and filter. Changed diff (both) oil, and the trans oil. I've actually gotten it running , but the fuel pump is bad. I need to replace it again.

More coming as I get to it.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well. The engine runs, and it runs just fine. I worked on this thing for about 4 hours today.

I have heat & interior blower (all 3 speeds). I have turn signals, 4 ways, and brake lights.

I actually drove it under it's own power; about 400 feet. The bed is still off, and there's a bunch of stuff flopping around loose back there.

I have at least 2 forward gears, and reverse. 4 wheel drive works. Amazingly, the 4wd indicator lamp on the dash works too.

I don't have headlamps or markers. I think there's a dead short in the system somewhere, I'll have to track it down.
Not surprised, whomever jacked with this before me really hacked the headlamp wiring.

I also have a fuel delivery problem. It will run for a bit, then the fuel stops flowing. I'm going to pull the tank - again - and see if I can get in there.
The draw straw is stopping up. I did manage to blow some pressurized air through it to clear it. Then I rigged a loop, ran the gas from the filler neck backwards through the drawstraw, to see if I could clean out whatever. Marginal success, I need to pull the tank.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was some interest when I posted about fuel filter location, so I figured I would make a thread.

I was at an auction, and saw something that piqued my interest, and put in a throw-away bid. Wasn't much interest in it, maybe because -
View attachment 235490

View attachment 235491

But, all the glass was in it, and the (black) tag was good. Clean Oklahoma title. Who could resist a face like this ?
View attachment 235493

And, all this stuff was included, no extra charge -
View attachment 235492

Hard to pass up a deal like that.

Apparently nobody else thought it was worth my throw-away bid (aw hell, I ain't gonna by it for that...), so I own it. Ahem...

It's a 9th generation (circa 1998-ish) Suzuki Carry. 660cc 3 cylinder, carbed engine. 4 spd manual, 4wd with a hi-lo transfer case, and a locking front diff. Been sitting for some indeterminate amount of time.

Here we go.
Saw lots of these type small PU's when I was stationed in Japan back in the late 60's My room mate bought a Koni 3 wheel PU, it was powered by an opposed twin air cooled 360cc motor that looked like 1/2 of a VW engine, top speed was about 45 mph, we traveled all over in that little pos!

Latest posts

Top Bottom