My current project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is more iterest in this than I had thought. To that end, I'll post more pics of what this thing actually looks like. I think most have at least seen one, but perhaps not up close - I know I had not, until now.

As I saw it at the auction - if you look close the dash can be seen piled up inside.
At the Auction Oct'21.jpg

I took the bed off after I realized it was going to be much easier to access what I needed.
Bed off #1.JPG

Bed off #2.JPG

You can see where the fuel tank is - the spare hangs in a bracket from the bed and sits directly on top of the tank.
Fuel tank in place.JPG

The engine is under the seats - which just clip down. Easy access.
From the LH (passenger) side
Engine under LH seat.JPG

From the RH (drivers) side-
Engine under RH seat.JPG

Those 3 bolts around the circle are the top of the strut towers - when inside, ones butt is actually behind the struts.

I'll update mechanical progress later today, I've got other things to do right now.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They used to build/ assemble rigs like that in poteau. I don't know if any of them made it to the market in the states.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm back with an update. A bit late, but my card reader died - I couldn't get the pics off the camera.

I'm messing with the fuel tank. I had previously thought the tank was okay, I swished it out with fresh gas and went on my way. After 3 fuel pumps, I discovered the draw tube on the tank was clogging. I pulled the sender out, it's the only access to the tank.
P1010463.JPG

Yeesh.... the bottom of the tank is rusty-crusty too. I really should have known, or at least looked. I've done this type of work before. No excuse.

I need to clean this thing out, but the only access is too small to get my hand in there. That hole is only about 2" across. There's another way -
some caustic detergent, which will strip the varnish/oil/etc.
P1010471.JPG

and some abrasive to help - I spent $8 at Lowes and got some 1/2" crushed rock. I want the crushed with the sharp edges, as opposed to the river gravel that is smooth. The sharp edges help scrape the tank.
P1010470.JPG

I dumped about 5 pounds of rock in there, heated a gallon of water and poured that in too. Then 20 ounces of detergent, per instructions.
shake shake shake. swish, roll, shake. 20 minutes of that, my back hurts. Flush with clean water - incredibly nasty stuff coming out.

Do it again. More detergent, more hot water, more shaking. My back really hurts now. Flush it out.

Now I gotta get the rock out. Time for the wet/dry vac. I can't get the hose in there, so I got some 1/2" PVC pipe -
P1010473.JPG

Worked like a champ.

Now the tank is wet, I need to dry it out. Reverse the hose - run it on the outlet side of the vac, and tape it to the tank inlet -
P1010474.JPG

I ran it for 30 minutes that way.

It worked well; I got about 90% of the crap out. I need to do it a few more times, then treat the tank with Zinc Phospate and seal it.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm back with an update. A bit late, but my card reader died - I couldn't get the pics off the camera.

I'm messing with the fuel tank. I had previously thought the tank was okay, I swished it out with fresh gas and went on my way. After 3 fuel pumps, I discovered the draw tube on the tank was clogging. I pulled the sender out, it's the only access to the tank.
View attachment 237313

Yeesh.... the bottom of the tank is rusty-crusty too. I really should have known, or at least looked. I've done this type of work before. No excuse.

I need to clean this thing out, but the only access is too small to get my hand in there. That hole is only about 2" across. There's another way -
some caustic detergent, which will strip the varnish/oil/etc.
View attachment 237314

and some abrasive to help - I spent $8 at Lowes and got some 1/2" crushed rock. I want the crushed with the sharp edges, as opposed to the river gravel that is smooth. The sharp edges help scrape the tank.
View attachment 237315

I dumped about 5 pounds of rock in there, heated a gallon of water and poured that in too. Then 20 ounces of detergent, per instructions.
shake shake shake. swish, roll, shake. 20 minutes of that, my back hurts. Flush with clean water - incredibly nasty stuff coming out.

Do it again. More detergent, more hot water, more shaking. My back really hurts now. Flush it out.

Now I gotta get the rock out. Time for the wet/dry vac. I can't get the hose in there, so I got some 1/2" PVC pipe -
View attachment 237317

Worked like a champ.

Now the tank is wet, I need to dry it out. Reverse the hose - run it on the outlet side of the vac, and tape it to the tank inlet -
View attachment 237318

I ran it for 30 minutes that way.

It worked well; I got about 90% of the crap out. I need to do it a few more times, then treat the tank with Zinc Phospate and seal it.
If it was that rusty you might want to put a little gas in it after you get it cleaned out and check for any little pin holes that may have rusted thru, water sometimes won't show a tiny leak but gas does.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried this process before never seems to work hopefully it will for you. tanks are cheap if you can’t find that one maby fit one from something else. Great project would love to have one.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was that rusty you might want to put a little gas in it after you get it cleaned out and check for any little pin holes that may have rusted thru, water sometimes won't show a tiny leak but gas does.
I don't think the tank is rusty as much as it is just varnish and build up from old gas. But, I could be wrong.

I plan to use a fuel tank sealant; a one-part epoxy that cures with air contact. I think the stuff reacts to humidity. I'll take a pic of it later.

Tried this process before never seems to work hopefully it will for you. tanks are cheap if you can’t find that one maby fit one from something else. Great project would love to have one.
I hope it works too. Tanks may be cheap for some things, but not for this. Used is impossible to find in good shape.

If this doesn't work I'll have to find a universal tank that I can make fit.
Keep sending the updates!!
As long as there is interest I will continue the updates. Thanks !

Latest posts

Top Bottom