My friend has a gun at that she wants you to look at...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's friend had a pistol that she wanted me to check out and make sure that it would be adequate for home defense. Upon inspection, I think it'll work.

It turns out to be a Colt MK IV Series 70. The serial # lookup tool on Colt's site indicates that it's from 1981. Other than the general historical overview, I'm not very knowledgeable on Colt's. I know this thing is nice and it feels great in the hand.

I'm hoping that one of y'all can give me a ballpark estimate on value. It's got a family history and is not for sale. I'm just hoping to be able to pass along a little info.

Here are some quickly taken photos:
MKIVs70a3SM.jpg

MKIVs70a2SM.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They made a bunch of those so I'd be surprised if there's any significant collector interest. But they were quality pistols, so the estimate above doesn't seem out of line to me... but I don't really know. Maybe take it to a gun show and get an appraisal from a dealer?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No box. It was wrapped in a rag when I got it.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
Don’t worry one of the 1911 nerds will be along shortly and can probably tell you the date and time it was manufactured ....:laugh6:

But being 1980’s and seemingly in good shape, I think my estimate is decent without a box though the value to those same nerds I was speaking of is diminished a little. Like you said its a family heirloom of sorts and it is more than adequate for home defense as long as ANTIFA or BLM hasn't zeroed in on your house.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought one just like that new when I was in college in 1978. It was $234, plus tax.

Tell her I'll give her that, which is a good deal seeing as how it's used. And doesn't have the original grips. Heck, I'll go $300.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, w/o the box, and grips your looking somewhere between $850-maybe $1,000 on a good day. Like Aries, although the 70 series is the one everyone likes. They are common, now if un-fired, in the box, your looking North of $1400

Latest posts

Top Bottom