My friend has a gun at that she wants you to look at...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one just like that new when I was in college in 1978. It was $234, plus tax.

Tell her I'll give her that, which is a good deal seeing as how it's used. And doesn't have the original grips. Heck, I'll go $300.
It sounds like you already have one. No need to duplicate.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My blue book book, which is a few years old now, puts that at $775. Today's value I'd estimate in the neighborhood of $850 - $1000. Looks to be in nice shape. Cool pistol.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the input. I had a friend come by and look at the Colt this evening. (He's as close to a Colt expert as I've found.) He estimated condition to be 90% to 95%. The finish is original but the magazine is not factory.

I've talked the owner into putting some wood grips on it since it probably won't be getting regular cleaning after I return it. Based on what I've read here and observed elsewhere, I feel comfortable relaying the value as $750 to $850.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is the safety a different color? Did they make them from a different metal back then?

Some blued parts will turn plum colored with age. You sometimes see it in older revolvers. I've heard several theories, ranging from metallurgical or heat treatment differences to the amount of handling that has occurred.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$750-$900 seems to be the going rate. That one is in very good condition and would be on the upper end, at $850-$900.
Then, there is that UGLY scratch, I would her $350.

Latest posts

Top Bottom