My latest barn find

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it from the original owner in Yukon , never had a vinyl top. It was the custom ? model , extra chrome around the bed , rocker panels and two tone paint. Horizontal trim on tailgate. Positrack rear.
My parents bought one just like it in 72. Dark green with white vinyl top. I drove it in high school back around 1979 until I tore it up and my dad sold it. Ran good for stock 350. Good times

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it from the original owner in Yukon , never had a vinyl top. It was the custom ? model , extra chrome around the bed , rocker panels and two tone paint. Horizontal trim on tailgate. Positrack rear.
Whats crazy is I drove mine from about 78-79 all over Midwest City/Del City night and day racing every vehicle that would race from a 30-40 mph roll. From Volkswagon to Big Block vette didnt matter. And never seen your GMC Sprint. You would have remembered mine cause it would have been the one trying to race you.

silverarrow

Marksman
Reaction score
Whats crazy is I drove mine from about 78-79 all over Midwest City/Del City night and day racing every vehicle that would race from a 30-40 mph roll. From Volkswagon to Big Block vette didnt matter. And never seen your GMC Sprint. You would have remembered mine cause it would have been the one trying to race you.
I did the Air Depot scene 79-80 , many times in a 69 Super Bee , black with flames , it had a 440 . I checked one time and I believe the previous owner put in a 3.73 rear end in the Sprint. I put on L60's and had bad axle hop , scared the you know what out of a then 19 year old. I thought I trashed the rear end. The car was quick but I did not hot dog it much. The car was extremely nice, Shiny paint , no cracks or tears on the interior. Engine did not smoke and everything worked. A guy who had many El Camino's bought it , he did not test drive it or even wanted me to turn it over . Just said " I'll take it " 6 thousand some made that year. Wish I still had that one.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the Air Depot scene 79-80 , many times in a 69 Super Bee , black with flames , it had a 440 . I checked one time and I believe the previous owner put in a 3.73 rear end in the Sprint. I put on L60's and had bad axle hop , scared the you know what out of a then 19 year old. I thought I trashed the rear end. The car was quick but I did not hot dog it much. The car was extremely nice, Shiny paint , no cracks or tears on the interior. Engine did not smoke and everything worked. A guy who had many El Camino's bought it , he did not test drive it or even wanted me to turn it over . Just said " I'll take it " 6 thousand some made that year. Wish I still had that one.
Wish I still had mine too. Not too many of them made. I will never forget when I came home from an all night exhaust change to headers at a friends house. My dad had just spent some change on the A/C. He was pretty pissed off when I drove it home without mufflers and NO A/C Mine had a 3.55 gear and changed to 4.56 later. Put some Cragars on it and drove it like a 16 year old.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first car bought in 1979 with 70 some thousand miles for $800.00 . The seldom seen 1972 GMC Sprint . Sold it a year later for $1600.00 when I worked at Hudiburg Chevrolet on 29th street MWC.
In college I had my choice of a 73 Ford Ranchero or a 73 GMC Sprint for the same money, $1,500.

I drove the GMC home and back and got lousy gas mileage on the 454 4Bbl. Since I wasn't made of money, I chose the Ranchero with the 351 Cleveland 2Bbl. God, how I wanted that Sprint!

ranchero.JPG

silverarrow

Marksman
Reaction score
In college I had my choice of a 73 Ford Ranchero or a 73 GMC Sprint for the same money, $1,500.

I drove the GMC home and back and got lousy gas mileage on the 454 4Bbl. Since I wasn't made of money, I chose the Ranchero with the 351 Cleveland 2Bbl. God, how I wanted that Sprint!

View attachment 440318
Nice Ranchero , I like the ones based on the early Falcon , because of the weight or lack of. 73 Spints are nice , but a whole nother animal . I like the late model GMC Caballero Diablo and small El Camino's . Mainly the quad headlight versions. I like what the Australian's call Utes , I am not really a truck person but do like passenger car based trucks and mini trucks. I watch some of the auctions on tv or you tube , the prices are just out of this world . Hope all had a Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom