my new Nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got to shoot it some yesterday. I thought it shot really well, I was only shooting 50 yards, next time I will go to the 100 yard table. Hits seemed to be a little high, but very consistent, I didn't notice much difference with the bayonett in or out, I will see if there is much of a difference at 100 yds.

Also, I didn't think the recoil was bad at all, I don't know what you guys are talking about the recoil of these guns for, it didn't bother me a bit.

Sweet looking rifle. I've got the itch to pick one up too. Your range report makes me want one even more.

-S

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at the Metcalf show in OKC yesterday and saw more 91/30's than I've seen in a while. One outfit had open crates of decent looking rifles for $119 and another guy had several nice ones for $115. Most were non-matching and were otherwise not very notable for any reason, but they were still good clean-looking rifles.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had two, down to one. In the process of making it a sniper rifle with a PU scope mount and scope. I'll put some links up that have helped me.

http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-Mosin_Nagant_Scope_With_Mount.html

http://www.buymilsurp.com/

http://www.scopesbestbuy.com/PU-Sniper-Scope-Green.html

Here's a forum for the mosin-nagant, just becarefull they don't like altering any surplus rifle. They call it bubbrizing it. But you can get some good advice about your rifle.

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/forum/index.php

Hope these help.

Hope you enjoy your new rifle. I know I like mine.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The safety on these rifles is a PITA. I strongly suspect that no Russian soldier ever willingly placed his or her rifle on safety, and have met a number of Mosin Nagant owners who did not know the rifle even had a safety.

If you plan to do anything other than range shooting with one of these, there is a mod you can do that makes it much easier to use the safety.

Basically, you put a wire loop on the back of the bolt. It needs to be big enough to get a finger through. The normal way it's done is to drill two holes in the outer edge of the bolt (obviously the rear end) opposite each other, and silver solder the wire loop into the holes. This enables one to get a good pull on the bolt, and to turn it so as to put it in the safe position. As you may have noticed, getting the rifle off safe is nearly as difficult, and the loop is good for that too.

Somewhere on the gunboards forum are (or were) pictures, but it's not a complicated fix. I would get a spare bolt assembly if I was going to do this to my one remaining MN, but it's a pristine Model 44 and has become a safe queen. I'll never use it for anything other than occasional paper punching. CB

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The safety on these rifles is a PITA. I strongly suspect that no Russian soldier ever willingly placed his or her rifle on safety, and have met a number of Mosin Nagant owners who did not know the rifle even had a safety.

If you plan to do anything other than range shooting with one of these, there is a mod you can do that makes it much easier to use the safety.

Basically, you put a wire loop on the back of the bolt. It needs to be big enough to get a finger through. The normal way it's done is to drill two holes in the outer edge of the bolt (obviously the rear end) opposite each other, and silver solder the wire loop into the holes. This enables one to get a good pull on the bolt, and to turn it so as to put it in the safe position. As you may have noticed, getting the rifle off safe is nearly as difficult, and the loop is good for that too.

Somewhere on the gunboards forum are (or were) pictures, but it's not a complicated fix. I would get a spare bolt assembly if I was going to do this to my one remaining MN, but it's a pristine Model 44 and has become a safe queen. I'll never use it for anything other than occasional paper punching. CB

Neat idea! I hunted with on once, and when I was in the stand, I just kept the bolt handle unlocked. If I saw something, I wold just need to push he bolt handle down to lock it, and fire. Since I didn't see anything, I opened the bolt and pushed the round back down into the magazine with my thumb and held it down a little so I could close the bolt on the empty chamber.

The mod you suggested would be easier, but now I take a different rifle (not that I've had time the last few years).

Jpt

Latest posts

Top Bottom