Webley Mark VI Revolver Headspace Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a Webley Mark VI revolver online about six months ago. When it came in, I function tested it and found no problems. I finally located some 455 Webley loaded ammunition and took the revolver to the range. Four of the cylinders would fire consistently, one would fire occasionally, and one would not fire at all. All six cylinders had strong primer strikes. Occasionally there would be some excessive blowback during firing.

The problem appeared to be excessive head spacing, but I think that's pretty uncommon in a revolver. After doing some internet searching, I found the problem. The cylinder has been shaved to accept 45 ACP. Witness the shortened cylinder by viewing the serial number on the cylinder--part of it is not there. Also, the face of the cylinder is bright and shiny, and there are no proof marks on it. And also, I could insert a nickel between the back of the cylinder and the frame.

I have some moon clips from a Colt 1917 then I'll give a try, but I'll make sure to use a very light load with a 200 grain lead bullets in the 45 ACP cases.

I'll also keep an eye out for a cylinder insert to enable me to shoot the 455 Webley ammunition that I have, and also look for a spare Mark Vi cylinder.

Attachments

• 20240126_233605.jpg
    20240126_233605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240126_233703.jpg
    20240126_233703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240126_233647.jpg
    20240126_233647.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 0

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a Webley Mark VI revolver online about six months ago. When it came in, I function tested it and found no problems. I finally located some 455 Webley loaded ammunition and took the revolver to the range. Four of the cylinders would fire consistently, one would fire occasionally, and one would not fire at all. All six cylinders had strong primer strikes. Occasionally there would be some excessive blowback during firing.

The problem appeared to be excessive head spacing, but I think that's pretty uncommon in a revolver. After doing some internet searching, I found the problem. The cylinder has been shaved to accept 45 ACP. Witness the shortened cylinder by viewing the serial number on the cylinder--part of it is not there. Also, the face of the cylinder is bright and shiny, and there are no proof marks on it. And also, I could insert a nickel between the back of the cylinder and the frame.

I have some moon clips from a Colt 1917 then I'll give a try, but I'll make sure to use a very light load with a 200 grain lead bullets in the 45 ACP cases.

I'll also keep an eye out for a cylinder insert to enable me to shoot the 455 Webley ammunition that I have, and also look for a spare Mark Vi cylinder.
And here is what a 455 insert would look like...

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use 45 auto rim brass then you don’t have to mess with the clips.
Agreed, but then what would I do with all the 455 Webley ammo that I have?

I found an unshaved cylinder for sale, bought it, and installed it. It works fine Now I can shoot 455 Webley or 45 Auto Rim, depending upon which cylinder I use.

I will have to load lightly on the Auto Rim because the Webley proof pressure is less than the chamber pressure for a standard 45 ACP load.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m glad you found an uncut cylinder. They are hard to find. Keeping it 455 is cooler. How does it shoot?
Really accurately at 10 yards, at least for a milsurp revolver. Recoil is light. Not much flash.

The Fiocchi 455 ammo I bought last year came with a ligh taper crimp, so some of the bullets have been coming out of their casings while still in the cylinder. I have a collet crimp die coming in to take care of the problem.

The middle cartridge in the photo was pulled from the cylinder after one shot.

Attachments

• 20240319_195336.jpg
    20240319_195336.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom