my new Nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the reciever, sorry it is not very good, it may not help you out at all.
I did see some script near the muzzle, right in front of the bayonet lug there is stamped, "ST. ALB. VT". just in front of that is a very faint CAI.
And below all that is "Russian 7.62 X 54R"

[Broken External Image]

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of these. Fun to shoot, but a little pad between the stock and your shoulder would be advisable. They do kick, and I'm not overly recoil sensitive. Just don't be surprised when you fire it the first time.

There is some ammo around with light bullets (48 grain hollow lead I think) that is completely free of recoil. It's corrosive of course, but good out to 200 meters. Stout enough to run autos and the machinegun, so it isn't gallery stuff. May have been made for urban applications. Hard to find, but not too pricy when you do. Comes in little cardboard boxes, about 18 to a box. Tips are normally white with lead oxide, so wipe, wash hands, don't suck thumb, you know, lead safety . . .

I had a 91-30 sniper that was dead accurate at 300+ yards. CB

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, don't jump on me for being picky. Most people, when they refer to a Nagant, are referring to the revolver. The rifles, Mosin-Nagants, are commonly referred to as Mosins. :police2:

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right you are, Ken. Nagant was French or Belgian and is credited with designing the magazine. Sergei Mosin was the man who put a Russian name to it for national pride reasons.

Jpt

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got to shoot it some yesterday. I thought it shot really well, I was only shooting 50 yards, next time I will go to the 100 yard table. Hits seemed to be a little high, but very consistent, I didn't notice much difference with the bayonett in or out, I will see if there is much of a difference at 100 yds.

Also, I didn't think the recoil was bad at all, I don't know what you guys are talking about the recoil of these guns for, it didn't bother me a bit.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed with my 91/30, is that recoil/sound for the shooter is a walk in the park. I could should that thing all day without needing a break or hearing protection. However, it's a whole new ballgame if you're observing someone else shooting it. I went out with some friends yesterday, and it doesn't matter where you stand, if you're not the one shooting it, you need hearing protection. Talk about a BOOM!

Latest posts

Top Bottom