My New Ruger Scout Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet how's the mag release work and also adjustable length of pull the firing pin in Hinton is working on getting me one
I'll let you guys know price and how it preforms for me when I get one !

Thanks and happy shooting 7stw

The mag release works quite well. And I have not adjusted the LOP, as it is pretty good for me as is. But all you have to do is unscrew the recoil pad and put the appropriate spacers (for you) in and replace the screw. Very simple. I believe, although I'm not 100% that an Allen wrench is furnished for this purpose.

AU_K9s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to shoot mine.
Here are the first 5 rounds shot at 75 yards offhand.
ai51.tinypic.com_156v51t.jpg

AU_K9s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like it.
Like others, I don't care for the magazine but I absolutely love the the weight and size.
I originally thought about putting a scope on it but I'm real happy with the iron sights.
Would like to put a Ching sling on it, and find a 5 round aftermarket magazine.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like it.
Like others, I don't care for the magazine but I absolutely love the the weight and size.
I originally thought about putting a scope on it but I'm real happy with the iron sights.
Would like to put a Ching sling on it, and find a 5 round aftermarket magazine.

My reasoning tells me that if the Scout is a big seller, then some enterprising soul will come up with a After-Market Magazine for it, that will cost a lot less.
Also, I don't recall offhand if I mentioned this already, but Ruger Customer Service says that mil-spec ammo will be just fine in the Scout. And it so happens that SGAmmo in Stillwater has a bunch of 1990's-manufacture German surplus 7.62mm NATO .

AU_K9s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of discussion on some other forums about the magazine.
Supposedly it is a AI/AICS standard mag. There are three companies that make compatible units. Some are double stack and priced less than ruger.

C-Products
Alpha Industries
Accuracy International (has the double stack)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got mine ordered today ! The firing pin in Hinton (read sticky) got one ordered for me he quoted me around 750 that's 100 cheaper than the mega big box won't answer the dang phone sales staff store in okc has got them for that will go a long way on a burris scout scope ! I am pumped I'll let you guys know when I get it . Are the mags standard AI single stack mags ?

Thanks and happy shooting 7stw

Reaction score
Although it's very cool, I tend to agree that a few enhancements would make it a lot better - here's how I would have designed it:

-18" bbl instead of 16"
-7mm-08 instead of .308
-Some sort of standard mag - M14, FAL, or HK91
-Oversized bolt handle & Winter trigger guard, yup.
-Stripper clip guide I could take or leave, but why the heck not?
-Fixed/integral pistol grip attached to stock.

Other than that, I really like it. I have a poor-man's version of this - No. 6 JC replica with scout mount.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Although it's very cool, I tend to agree that a few enhancements would make it a lot better - here's how I would have designed it:

-18" bbl instead of 16"

Personally I don't see this as too big of a deal. After all, the goal is compact and lightweight, both of which the 16" does better than 18" (albeit at a cost of some velocity)

-7mm-08 instead of .308

Why the heck would you do that? That would IMO defeat the purpose of the rifle! It's supposed to be an "all purpose" rifle, so you need a commonly available ammo. .308 is, 7mm-08 is not.

-Some sort of standard mag - M14, FAL, or HK91

Agreed - although it's sounding like they do use an available mag, if not cheap "standard" mag.

-Oversized bolt handle & Winter trigger guard, yup.

Yes, but for some reason, most common manufacturers (other than Savage) don't seem to be able to comprehend the bolt handle issue, much less winter trigger guard.

-Stripper clip guide I could take or leave, but why the heck not?
-Fixed/integral pistol grip attached to stock.

A forward grip? Meh, not really. In fact, not at all. Now flat on the bottom of the rifle, parallel to the bore, with provision to mount a section of pic rail

Other than that, I really like it. I have a poor-man's version of this - No. 6 JC replica with scout mount.

Latest posts

Top Bottom