My New Ruger Scout Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The velocity loss shouldn't be significant. What I want to know is how much worse was the muzzle blast from the 16inch barrel?

When Col. Cooper was working up the Scout rifle concept 18 or 19 inches was deemed to be about ideal. I wish i wish Ruger had gone along with that recommendation myself.

I'm a beleiver in the Scout Rifle concept myself. I'm interested in Ruger's attempt at a Scout mainly the magazine issue and the 16inch barrel give me pause. I'm waiting to see what the availability and cost of the mags ends up being before jumping on one.

I'm also wondering if it will possible to swap in a standard Ruger hinged floorplate mag on this thing as I'd much prefer it that way.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The velocity loss shouldn't be significant. What I want to know is how much worse was the muzzle blast from the 16inch barrel?

~snip~

I was surprised that it was not really all that bad. I don't shoot, high-powered rifles especially, without my ear plugs in and I can honestly say that this particular rifle was not all that much louder than any other 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO rifles that I have shot.
I really don't see the additional noise being that much of a factor here.
Like I say, I was somewhat surprised at this as well.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also would have liked to see them go with a longer barrel -- I know what a flamethrower a 16" .308 is, and I don't think a massive muzzle flash that blinds you and gives away your position in low light exactly fits with the whole "scout" concept. It is fine for use on a shooting range during broad daylight, but not so great for the role Col. Cooper envisioned.

I also think they should have given it a stripper clip guide. Stripper clips work great in rifles with forward-mounted optics, and it would minimize the need to buy more of those expensive mags. It would be pretty sweet to have the option of either loading from the top with strippers, or carrying extra box mags. I like the long sight radius aperture sights, but I wish they were more easily adjustable, with click-adjustable drums like on an M-1 or M-14.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also think they should have given it a stripper clip guide. Stripper clips work great in rifles with forward-mounted optics, and it would minimize the need to buy more of those expensive mags.

From what I've read, it's a single stack mag which means the mags have to be loaded from the front, not pressed through the lips. So stripper clips and guides would be useless.

So basically they made a rifle designed to generate profit from the extra mags you have to purchase...LOL.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've read, it's a single stack mag which means the mags have to be loaded from the front, not pressed through the lips. So stripper clips and guides would be useless.
So basically they made a rifle designed to generate profit from the extra mags you have to purchase...LOL.

This is correct.
I have one other rifle that I just love to shoot but also has this same set-up, and that is my CZ 527. That one has the benefit of being fairly inexpensive to shoot, however, being chambered in 7.62 Soviet.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My gunsmith, who is in Ark City, Kansas, and who got it for me will shoot it Monday. I'll ask him to do his own review on the Kans,as concealed carry forum and then I'll C&P it to here.
Incidentally, I ordered three more magazines for it from Ruger, and I am in the process of designing a quick-loading device for the magazines.

Here is my gunsmith's review of the rifle/carbine.

C&P from the Kansas website.

Ruger Scout review
I just got back from the range with gerhard1 and his Ruger Scout and here are my observations.
It is based on the M77 bolt action and the action is looser fitting than a quality M77.
It locks up tight; but, the bolt’s lateral movement during operation
Not a real problem for a work/grunt gun.
Heavy barreled with flash suppressor and a heavy laminated stock makes this an excellent recoil resistant rifle.
I shot 35 rounds @ 100yds with no shoulder soreness from recoil. Three shots were bench-rested for group tightness, 7 were for standing free hand with fast bolt action and full renewal of sight picture, and 25 were general bench-rest sighting. Of the 25 general, 2 were for initial sight information, 8 were fast bolt action and barrel heating and the rest was just for fun. And fun it was.

First shot was 6” high. Second shot; I broke a 4” clay when correction was added.
Sight picture was different then expected. With practice the sight picture can be learnt.

As I learnt the sight picture; I started to form a solid 5” group. I shot a 3.5” group with the three shot group with 2 touching.
The 7 standing free handed shots were meant to simulate a bear attack situation with rapid point and fire action. Here is where a design peculiarity stood out.
The balance of rifle tended to pull the rifle left as I brought the rifle up.
All seven shots required a right correction when the rifle was target level.
The grouping was bear defend capable. It was a three foot group at 100yds; with 5 of the 7 within 2 ft.
If corrected to normal rifle bear defend range you get 9 to 11 inches.
Practice would no doubt improve that greatly,

This is an excellent work gun as is; but with some serious sights, this gun would be a contender in medium to long range hunting.

Also I might add that I just called the Ruger customer service and they told me that mil-spec ammo was suitable for this carbine.
So, I ordered a case of the German surplus stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom