My stainless S&W Model 62 isn't a J-Frame, it's an E-Frame,,,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not know this until I stumbled on this post in another forum,,,
The factory has different designations for the carbon steel and stainless frames.

Carbon Steel
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • N
Stainless Steel
  • E
  • F
  • H
  • G
S&W has always had separate letter designations for the stainless steel frame sizes,,,
But they aren't commonly known.

Most people go by the FAR more commonly known carbon steel frame letter designations.I've tried finding confirmation on the web,,,
But my search skills are inadequate.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Aarond

Attachments

• 1696777442920.png
    1696777442920.png
    727 KB · Views: 3

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not know this until I stumbled on this post in another forum,,,
The factory has different designations for the carbon steel and stainless frames.

Carbon Steel
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • N
Stainless Steel
  • E
  • F
  • H
  • G
S&W has always had separate letter designations for the stainless steel frame sizes,,,
But they aren't commonly known.

Most people go by the FAR more commonly known carbon steel frame letter designations.I've tried finding confirmation on the web,,,
But my search skills are inadequate.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Aarond

IMG_5188.jpeg

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not an expert but news to me and makes no sense IMO.
I was aware the models beginning with 6 denoted SS but that's it.
Raises a question though, since there is currently only one X model, I assume it's for SS but which governor (carbon or SS) is the Z frame for?
ETA:
Or should I say alloy for the governor? I guess that also goes for all the frames that aren't SS or carbon, ie; 300 series, airweights, etc?

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not an expert but news to me and makes no sense IMO.
I was aware the models beginning with 6 denoted SS but that's it.
Raises a question though, since there is currently only one X model, I assume it's for SS but which governor (carbon or SS) is the Z frame for?
ETA:
Or should I say alloy for the governor? I guess that also goes for all the frames that aren't SS or carbon, ie; 300 series, airweights, etc?

Z = is simply Governor frame size, not material used. The other "3" model prefix (eg. 340, 329, 327 etc...) denotes a scandium frame. You are correct that a 6x or 6xx is used for stainless revolvers with the recent exceptions of the X frame 460 and 500 that I can think of...plus the Governor.

I'm no S&W revolver expert either, but I sure like to collect them 😄.

Latest posts

Top Bottom