Navy Chief upset calling out all you squids both past and present

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is pathetic. Next thing you know they'll be getting rid of dress blues/whites, the last traditions we have.

Didn't they already try that? Seem to remember something about a uniform change in the 80's or 90's that did away with the one(s) I wore in the 60's

USN 62-66 AT-3 USS Hancock CVA-19
Also glad I was in when boys could be boys and tradition meant something.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was active duty US Navy from 1991-1997. I got my share of chevrons "tacked on", got a BT Punch and earned my Trusty Shellback status in those years. I knew those traditions were not going to be long for the Navy. My Polliwog initiation was a PC version of the real thing but,... it still included garbage, firehoses shooting seawater, crawling around on the damn non-skid decks, and of course shillelaghs. I wouldn't trade any of it because that's the stuff you remember. I still remember not being able to hold my tray of food in the chow line because my arm was so damn sore.

It's sad that these traditions are going away but we're living in the "Everybody gets a trophy,.. whether they earn it or not" generation.

I tell you what,... The day the tradition of pulling into Pearl Harbor and Manning the Rails in dress whites goes away,... I will go insane. Probably the most emotional moment of my time in the Navy.

GO NAVY !!!

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was active duty US Navy from 1991-1997. I got my share of chevrons "tacked on", got a BT Punch and earned my Trusty Shellback status in those years. I knew those traditions were not going to be long for the Navy. My Polliwog initiation was a PC version of the real thing but,... it still included garbage, firehoses shooting seawater, crawling around on the damn non-skid decks, and of course shillelaghs. I wouldn't trade any of it because that's the stuff you remember. I still remember not being able to hold my tray of food in the chow line because my arm was so damn sore.

It's sad that these traditions are going away but we're living in the "Everybody gets a trophy,.. whether they earn it or not" generation.

I tell you what,... The day the tradition of pulling into Pearl Harbor and Manning the Rails in dress whites goes away,... I will go insane. Probably the most emotional moment of my time in the Navy.

GO NAVY !!!

This enrages me so much. My children are just coming to the age of playing sports. I was not aware that you don't keep score at soccer and baseball games anymore. My boys team was first place in the league but they got the same size trophy as everyone else why is that? We can't say oh these kids did an excellent job and gave a damn while you other kids just wandered around the field?

F. Those kids feelings without a little dirt in your face why would you ever get up off the ground?

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

GO NAVY !!!

Amen to that

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, I didn't stay in long enough to make it to Chief, but that was something I had looked forward to had things gone differently....that is just plain sad...they are taking away everything that I loved about the Navy....traditions!!....I've got some buddies that stayed in to make it to CPO and they tell me it's not the same Navy we were in when we were lonely lil airmans.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sucks that an old tradition is gone, but it's not a big shock. I loved certain parts of it, the bonding and memories. The only problem, there was always some idiot that would take things too far. The military isn't the "old military". In some ways that sucks, because old bastards like me miss all the crazy **** we used to do. I don't doubt that it was time for a change. It's hard to sell to parents and congressmen (year after year) that making someone drink puke infested grog is actually good leadership and necessary for their professional development. That's one reason why it was time for me to retire. Once the branch that you joined changes so much that you can no longer recognize it....you need to get out. That's why I always loved working with the Marines....a lot less politics...and some tough SOB's. Semper Fi!

Latest posts

Top Bottom