Neck Turning Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone in the Tulsa area have a neck turning tool, I'm having some issues with a new 6.5 barrel and am wondering if the neck was cut too tight. I'd like to turn down 5 cases and see what kind of results I get. I would just buy one but want to know if it will solve the problem before I sink $80 into one.

Thanks in advance.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what cartridge... could we turn it on the lathe?

I don't have a good collet set, but if it will chuck up in a 3 jaw then we could take some off.

Alernatively, could you just cut off the neck at the shoulder and see what you need to? Use a pipe cutter?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The case is a 6.5/284, I want to shave off about .001 and see if the cases stick after firing.

So the rim is smaller than the base and it looks like it is pretty straight walled, we should be able to chuck it up and squeeze a thousandth off if you want to try or nobody with a neck turner comes forward. I also have a Wilson trimmer with some inside neck reamers, but nothing to turn the outside other than the lathe.

If you're planning on using for competition, I'd say you need a neck turner no matter what anyway. By all accounts, people report wanting about .003 smaller neck than chamber too. Who cut the chamber? Can they tell you what it was spec'd at?

Am I reading that the cases chamber ok but then stick after firing?

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I reading that the cases chamber ok but then stick after firing?

Yes

Who cut the chamber? Can they tell you what it was spec'd at?

Don't know who cut the chamber, I bought it used for the value of the receiver and stock.

If you're planning on using for competition, I'd say you need a neck turner no matter what anyway.

No plans for comps, just training and varmints.

If shaving .001 off the neck ends the stuck brass problem I'll buy one but I want to know that will fix the problem before I drop $80..

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha. My guess would be the road you seem to be heading down and that is the outside of the neck just is too tight to begin with and you need to shave a little off.

My mini lathe is available if you can't find a neck turner around, just let me know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom