Need a little help here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer season. 20 degree temps. 10+ hours in the stand.

I'm in blind with a propane heater. I've been buying cans of dinty moore stew, chef Boyardee pasta crap, etc to eat during the day, warming it up on the heater.

I need some tins or something metal with lids that seal to put good food, soups, pasta's, etc that we make at home in my backpack and take to the field that can withstand the high temps from the heater. They have to seal, first priority. Can't have stuff oozing into the back pack.

I don't eat processed food at home, and don't want to in the field. That stuff will kill ya.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just an idea, how about storing the food in a plastic container, then pouring it into a metal container to heat and eat. old-school canteen cup? toss it into the dishwasher when you get home.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought about that. I've ate tons of meals, heated water for shaving, etc from the canteen cup, but looking for something to hold about 2-4 cups of soup, etc that is free standing? Kind of like the old GI mess kits with a lid and seal. Two compartments for would be ideal!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with aviator... Keep it simple.

Get a camp mess kit, alcohol (or substitute something that will burn hotter in those cold temps), and make a beer can stove out of an aluminum bottle. The thicker alum won't allow the cold to put the flames out.

Get a camp mess kit, take an old coffee can and build a stick/wood stove. Total free standing cook up whatever you need.

My cousin and I do that in our blind, but it's sand floor, so we don't worry about burning down the tryhard wood blind. Or, you know, RD sells some pretty sweet prepper food/mre's

Latest posts

Top Bottom