Need a tech solution ... wanting to stream music via WiFi to current stereo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what I want to do...

Take a tablet and be able to stream via WiFi to a device that plugs into either the Ethernet connection on the back of my WiFi router or is stand alone and also connects via WiFi

Then use an android tablet to stream music either directly from the memory on the tablet and/or from a USB HDD either plugged into the desired device or possibly from another media computer on the wireless network.

It would be nice also if the device was also capable of accepting the audio from either the tablet or from another PC or Windows laptop too? Keep in mind I also have an 80GB PS3 currently on the WiFi network and also plugged into the router, but I haven't really explored it's full capabilities for photo/video/audio use so if it can do this in some way that would be great too. The key really is being able to use the tablet and possibly other PCs to control the music and playlists.

Lay it on me guys... what's the best solution?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not entirely sure I am clear, but you have music on your pc, tablet and ps3, and want to get it via wifi to your reciever? Look at Roku, Squeezebox, I believe your ps3 will do it also. You can also just plug your tablet into the reciever using a rca to 3.5mm cable for like 15 bucks, or even get a bluetooth to audio adapter for your reciever for 15-20 and stream from your tablet to reciever, or any audio device with a line in jack/rca jacks. Few links to check out.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

http://hometheater.about.com/od/gad...yers_and_media_extenders_for_home_theater.htm

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The geek solution would be netcat... I've even streamed from a TV tuner card with that...

I know there are several solutions for going computer->tablet/phone, but I don't know about the other way around...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The tablet doesn't have bluetooth or else it would be much easier.

I'm just wanting to use the tablet as like a little portable music controller that I can access the music on it, also run Pandora through, or possibly to control a HDD somewhere else in the house and make it stream through my stereo.

Not looking to write any of my own apps or code, just hoping there is some simple solution that will take advantage of the WiFi on the tablet.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooooh wait. I think that squeezebox thingie might be the ticket!

Does anyone know if you can load clients onto android and PC and then have it pull from a media server also?

Anyone have one or doing this or something similar?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They dont make the squeeze box thingie anymore, but you can still find them around, they are the most popular/recommended on the AVS forums.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the ORB also might do exactly what I want....

WOW the price on the Squeezebox is pretty high. Not sure I want to pay that much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom