WiFi service question for computer geeks and geekettes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the days before Windows 10, I could have sworn when I clicked on an available network service on the list brought up by the device it can see, I could then click on the Connect Automatically button and turn that feature on and off for each service I didn't want to connect to.

Windows 10 will let me click on that box and uncheck it but when I close that box and open the same wireless service again it has been rechecked back to Connect Automatically. :anyone:

I thought In the days of NT, 2,000, and others, you could turn off the WiFi autoconnect to individual services to keep the device from attempting to connect to these constantly.

I know someone will bring up the shut off WiFi adapter but that won't work because I'm using a WiFi service. I just don't want the adapter to continue to try other services when I lose connectivity to my service possibly causing my delays in the reconnection.

Is there some way to bypass the problem I'm having?

I won't be able to answer until I get home from work.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the days before Windows 10, I could have sworn when I clicked on an available network service on the list brought up by the device it can see, I could then click on the Connect Automatically button and turn that feature on and off for each service I didn't want to connect to.

Windows 10 will let me click on that box and uncheck it but when I close that box and open the same wireless service again it has been rechecked back to Connect Automatically. :anyone:

I thought In the days of NT, 2,000, and others, you could turn off the WiFi autoconnect to individual services to keep the device from attempting to connect to these constantly.

I know someone will bring up the shut off WiFi adapter but that won't work because I'm using a WiFi service. I just don't want the adapter to continue to try other services when I lose connectivity to my service possibly causing my delays in the reconnection.

Is there some way to bypass the problem I'm having?

I won't be able to answer until I get home from work.

This is an "undocumented feature" of Windows 10. The best way i know around it is to right click on the network you don't want to connect to and select "forget". This will clear the stored password for that connection so it will not be able to reconnect until you enter the password again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom