Need advice on how to hang something on the wall...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a good idea as long as they make wire strong enough to hold something that heavy which I bet they do. I've just never looked before.

Electric fence wire.

I use that stuff to tie a stockade fence to T posts. Hasn't broken in over 7 years since I started doing it in this Western Oklahoma wind.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a good idea as long as they make wire strong enough to hold something that heavy which I bet they do. I've just never looked before.
Tie-wire like they use in concrete work. Not as hard as electric fence or bailing wire, but you can pull it tighter and that'll make all the difference.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL^^^ My real suggestion is to weld rebar to the back of the wood, and use railroad spikes driven through the sheetrock.

(the braided wire from hobby lobby is flexible and will hold hundreds of pounds.)

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was mine I would pull the cleats/braces off the back and run a 2x4 french cleat along the top and just a regular 2x4 cleat along the bottom to keep the reveal the same from top to bottom. Maybe a foot from the top and a foot from the bottom, etc. You could throw one in the middle if you wanted too. You could even french cleat the bottom cleat as well but it's not really necessary IMO. Measurements will need to be spot on this way.

You could also just pull the cross brace off and french cleat cut the top 2x4 that is already on there, if the stud brace is good enough. Just put your skill saw on a 45 degree bevel and set your depth accordingly.

Or you could just screw straight into that bad boy with some 3.5 inch torx screws into the studs. 2 in the top and 1-2 in the bottom.

IMO you don't really want to hang a heavy piece like that with wire, etc. You want it secured nicely to the wall.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree wire is not the best solution, but it is an option. There is also an inverted V where you drill a 1" shallow hole into the back of the 2X4 and mount the inverted V to put it on the wall after you have put some wood screws into studs, or used drywall anchors.

Trust me. Standing in the aisle at Hobby lobby, looking over the options will solve your issues.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use narrow lag bolts (1/4" maybe) to attach a pair of 2"X2" horizontal cleats onto the wall. Then, rest the art piece onto those cleats and attach the piece to the cleats with some screws. You'll see no screws from the front and be earthquake safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom