Need assistance mounting a 30mm scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting my Remington 700 tactical rifle together and am putting a 30mm tactical scope on this one. I have mounted my fair share of 1 inch scopes, but I do not have the right tools to mount and lap the 30mm rings. Anyone in the NW OKC, Piedmont or Yukon area willing to help a guy out?

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the advantage of lapping scope rings?

What I know is that some recommend lapping so the scope doesn't move under recoil. For what it's worth, I've never lapped scope rings even though I have all the tools to lap 1 inch rings and have mounted bunches of scopes. I didn't even lap rings for a 378 Weatherby Magnum and a 458 Lott and have had no problems with said scopes moving under recoil. The only scopes I used to have a problem with were those mounted on handguns like 460 S&W Magnum and 500 S&W Magnum but since I went to 4 rings have had no problem with those either. I've also never used tape, Lock Tite or anything else under rings to keep the scope in place.

The other perceived benefit is less chance of deforming the scope by poorly aligned rings or the scope perhaps not being aligned parallel with the bore. To that I would say, if the rifle is made properly, if the scope is a quality one and if you use good rings, those shouldn't be issues either.

Is there somethng else I haven't thought of?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you hit the key points. The best example I have is a 7 mag that had dual dovetail bases and rings. It was a cheaper rifle and that combined with the dual bases allowed for the scope to be tweaked when mounted. I could never get the thing to shoot very accurately until I better aligned and lapped the rings.

As for my current build, I just went with a strong one piece mount, and machined and matched rings which all aligned perfectly. It is on my tactical 308, also posted I this forum, so movement shouldn't be an issue.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you hit the key points. The best example I have is a 7 mag that had dual dovetail bases and rings. It was a cheaper rifle and that combined with the dual bases allowed for the scope to be tweaked when mounted. I could never get the thing to shoot very accurately until I better aligned and lapped the rings.

As for my current build, I just went with a strong one piece mount, and machined and matched rings which all aligned perfectly. It is on my tactical 308, also posted I this forum, so movement shouldn't be an issue.

Just out of curiosity, on the windage adjustable rings, did you use a laser boresighter to bring the scope into alignment with the bore when you first tried getting it on paper? The only times I have used the adjustable rings is when someone screwed up on hole placement for the mount or when the bore was seriously off center. One rifle required that I rotate the barrel so the deviation was upward rather than to the side. I had to face off the breech and use a finish reamer to set headspace with the rotational change of the barrel. Had there been another barrel available it would have become a tent stake... It was adequate for normal hunting duty after the fixes, but was never going to be a great shooter. I ended up trading it to another friend with full disclosure as to its pedigree. He didn't care as he was using it as a donar rifle for a caliber change.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned scoped rifles for 40 years. I've never lapped one.

Best thing I ever did was to get a Tipton Gun Vise, and a level. Level the gun, and then use the level on the top ring of the scope after removing the cap. The cross hairs will come right in. After a couple of attempts, you'll see how adjusting the screws mess up the alignment, and you can adapt.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 Dennis. It has been my experience that you should also check the stadia after you use the levels. I have seen some very expensive scopes where the reticle was not true.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never needed to bed down any scope for firearms. but have bedded down plenty of scopes for magnum class air rifles.
bedding was done to change angle of rings to gain elevation adjustments for higher power scopes on air rifles.
below tool is used to check alignment as you sand down insides of mounting rings.

here's a picture of my Brownell scope ring alignment rods .. works for 1in and 30mm

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC04323.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom