Need Firewood badly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain.
I too only had a free standing wood stove for heat back in the 1990's.
After all bills were paid we usually had 8 bucks left at the end of the month..Back then i thought that was doing pretty good.

Wood had to be free.
I actually bid tree jobs way way low to get the wood to burn.
Pallets were an easy find as many people had rotting ones,, I would burn old recliners and sofa's that i took the wood off of.
particle board and paneling got tossed in to keep the house warm also.. I drew the line at railroad ties and car tires.

My grandmother burned tires though..She said keep all the windows and doors sealed up tight or that black soot will be on everything.

I scanned the FREE section of the Tulsa craigslist and wood doors and pallets along with trees are available right now.. I am sure you see this daily..

Cedar burns very well and leaves almost No ashes.. same with pine and fir.. Uncles in Oregon all burn pine and Fir to heat their homes.
People here think that is a no no.
The worst my chimney ever looked was a year i burned blackjack.. it was over 2 years old and that is some nasty stuff.

But cleaned right out with a couple days of dry pine and cedar burning.
I had metalbestos stainless stove pipe on that stove... When i sold the house i removed the pipe and stove and the stainless was shiny in spots inside the pipe.

Good hot fire keeps things clean as you probably know.. and you need flame to make heat.. smoldering coals do not make enough heat.

I would hit the farm stores there and see if there is a sawmill near you.. You can usually get scrap slabs for free or really cheap.
I was paying 20 bucks for a trailer load.. Did not matter how large the trailer was either. I could stack it 9 feet high on my trailer.. worth the money like that.
If you have to pay.
I did some welding on the fork truck at the saw mill and got all i wanted for free.

Good luck in your quest.
Eeerie, how similar circumstances can be. Yes, we have done all that out of necessity except tires and particle board, not going there.

Sent by a right hand on a mobile with Tapatalk

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Family of 6 needs firewood. Our house has no gas run in and only wood stove freestanding we bought used, overhauled and converted to insert in '97. It is our only heat source due to our central plenum collapsing under the slab and the very old pre '90's heat pump never working good below 30 F with backup electric emergency heat elements that were very problematic before plenum collapse.
Any trees needing hauled off or cut up from the fungus disease killing off the indigionous scrub oak is more than good enough as NE of Tulsa we know a lot of trees have died. PM me if anything you have and want rid of might be decent enough as we are not picky and very grateful as my wife is very cold natured. We usually scavange power company trimming but it has dried up last several years. Finally was able to get 4 tires replaced on truck and trailer so we are able to drive further than 30 miles round trip if nesessary. My young adult able bodied sons all 3 of them usually are available with us help do all the work and have been trained for half their lives.

you need to know about the City of Tulsa green waste dump ... all the free wood you want to load. don't like what you see .. wait a bit and folks will be bringing trailer load after trailer loads of all sorts of wood. LOTS of folks cutting and splitting wood to sell from the green dump.

City of Tulsa Mulch Site
Address: 2100 N 145th E Ave, Tulsa, OK 74116
Phone:(918) 596-2100
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/environmental-programs/resource-recovery/mulch-site.aspx

You can pick up an unlimited amount of FREE wood and wood chips by visiting the City of Tulsa's Mulch site.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do pick up.there when we have time for it to season at times but their policy had changed not to long ago to them not letting anyone pick up due to stupid liability issues. It may have reversed since then as all t takes is someone careless and foolish getting stupid enough to file a injured back or broken limb claim.

Sent by a right hand on a mobile with Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been heating the house with fresh cut silver maple ..The limbs are about fat leg diameter and i split them to no larger than 4"x4" and also toss in the wrist size ones .
I only toss those in on top of dry old wood (seasoned) once i have good heat and flame.
Those will dry out really fast as they do not seem to have the absorbancy of other woods..Probably why they snap off the trees so easily.

Just saying you may try some of that. I burned 1/3 of a pick up bed load of it in the last month. Fire box is still clean and glass doors are always see through clean.
keeping it hot you know.

I mean FRESH cut also..The day I cut it off the tree I was burning it. It burned so well I got some from the neighbors. I hate silver maples otherwise.

I have made syrup from one ..That is a lot of time boiling for a little syrup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom