Need help on choosing a ZTR lawn mower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wheelphil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a new ZTR mower and have narrowed it down to these two but I was wanting some imput from those of you that may have had experiance with em.

I have about 3 acres of flat land that I mow a couple of times a week and need something well built and that will last a long time.

1st is the Toro ZTR 5060 50" W/ 24hp
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...14036-2&srccode=cii_16079562&locStoreNum=3902
2nd is a Cub Cadet ZTR 50" 24 hp
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Flow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search
Anyone have any experiance with either one?
wanting to stay under $3500 and want a 50" and 24hp or larger
Would also like to hear what any of you have that is comparable and how you like it.
Pros/Cons

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much a Scag would be, but I bought a used 52" about 8 yrs ago and it is still going strong.
I lived on 5 acres for 7 yrs and mowed all of it with the Scag. Excellent mower.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
need something well built and that will last a long time.

Probably not what you want to hear, but you seriously need to consider a commercial style mower if you want something that lasts, holds it's value, and is easy to work on. After years of cheaping out and throwing wrenches and dollar bills at POS mowers on 100 degree days, I bought A Kubota ZG last year and I've never been happier with a purchase. I mow a several acres of rough terrain and the difference between this thing and a residential mower is unbelievable.

Anyone have any experiance with either one?

Yes. I had a Cub Cadet Z-Force, which is sold as a "bit beefier" version of the Cub Cadet you have posted. I ran that thing to it's untimely death in far too short of time, and spent more time putting overpriced, underbuilt MTD sheet parts on it than I did mowing with it.

The deck literally fatigued and fell apart. That was the last straw; I drug the piece of crap to the Kubota dealer and he gave me $600 trade-in for it. I've never been so happy to get rid of anything in my life.

If you don't use them hard, I'm sure they are fine. I do, and it was noting more than an expensive paper weight for me. They can handle mowing a lawn or two, they can't handle mowing where I mow. The Kubota doesn't even blink (well, if mowers blinked it wouldn't blink.)

Between the 2 mowers you listed, I'd take the Toro any day and twice on Sunday. But seriously look commercial, used ones on craigslist too. Good deals can be found. Also, fabbed deck, fabbed deck, fabbed deck.

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the exact models your referencing. However, I will give you advice and knowledge on ones I have used/own. I have used the 50" Troy Bilt Mustang and the John Deere Z425. Personally I bought the JD. Once I compared the models and what each of them offer, I felt the JD was the way to go. I am very satisfied with my purchase and would do it again. Take it from someone who sells ZTR, compare the models side by side. Look for things such as: tire size, deck size, horsepower, options, fuel tank size, mow in reverse or not-JD will-Troy Bilt will not, warranty, accessories, etc.

Right now you can buy the JD through Lowes for $3999, get free delivery, 5% off if using a Lowes Card, depending on which one you use they may also throw in a dump cart. Won't go on and on but if you have any questions let me know.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought the Toro SS5060 from O'Connors. Love it! I was worried about a few slopes I have but this baby has no problems with them. I cut my old house once before I sold it and it took me 40 minutes. With my Snapper it took me 3.5 hours.

4wheelphil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love a commercial but it's just not in the budget at the time. Guess If I ran across the right deal tho...
$3500 is about as high as I can go
The salesman at home depot was telling me that the deck on the cub is made stronger than on the Toro but the ride on the cub is not as comfortable while mowing which I could tell a big differance in comfort while just sitting on them but I want durability as well

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my dad loves his toro, i know its got a kawasaki engine on it, but i honestly do not know the size, and i think the cutting deck is a 48 or a 50. he has it with the clipping catcher because he bags the grass on the house lot, it is very easy to take on and off. the little nub that the rubber strap hooks to on the chute did snap off, but he just used a small bolt and was actually able to jb weld the nub back onto the bolt and you cannot even tell it was ever broke. other than that, solid mower, no problems out of it.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read all over before I bought mine. I was dead set on getting one with a Kawasaki motor after reading reviews. I went to http://www.mowersdirect.com/ and looked at prices before I went to Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot and a few local shops. Ended up getting my 5060 for $3349 OTD.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well built and that will last a long time.

To me, that is the definition of a fabricated deck and NOT a stamped deck.

The Kawasaki engines are great. Dependable and they just sip that gasoline.
The saki engine on my Hustler Z consumes less gas per hour than my B&S push mower.

Of the 2 you listed I suppose I would go with the Toro but I strongly encourage you to step up one level and buy something above your normal consumer grade mower at Lowes or Home Depot.

Buy a good quality mower from a local dealer that also services them.
You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom