Need Help, Remington 700 ML

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catvtony

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a Remington 700 ML, not the new one, its an older model. Has the 209 conversion kit. I have tried sabots, solid bullets, I have always shot Pyrodex 50 grain pellets with no problem.

I cannot get this rifle to group worth a dang, its all over the place, remounted the scope, tried a different scope. No luck, I have a friend that shoots the exact model with good accuracy, he moved away and we lost contact before I bought this rifle or I would be picking his brain.

I keep the rifle clean, the bore looks great, cannot figure out what the problem is.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It's begging you for smokeless conversion! That's what I would do. Just a thought, how old is your powder? I've heard it can lose its effectiveness over time.

catvtony

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well now that you ask that, I honestly, don't know. It is at least over a year old.
I had a friend tell me that I should try loose powder, might try that next.
I hunt with it in Oklahoma and Kansas, I don't think smokeless powder would be legal, but I would have to check the regs to be sure.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try different sabots and charges. I will say that I have a buddy that had a ML700, which we could not get to zero after about 3 years. However, he did not like cleaning guns, which I think he ruined the barrel.
I have a TC ProHunter, that does not like certain sabots and bullets. I had to experiment around with different combinations.
Here is a company that just sells the sabots http://mmpsabots.com/ they make them in different thicknesses.
Lastly, are you putting the pellets in with the correct side down?

catvtony

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try different sabots and charges. I will say that I have a buddy that had a ML700, which we could not get to zero after about 3 years. However, he did not like cleaning guns, which I think he ruined the barrel.
I have a TC ProHunter, that does not like certain sabots and bullets. I had to experiment around with different combinations.
Here is a company that just sells the sabots http://mmpsabots.com/ they make them in different thicknesses.
Lastly, are you putting the pellets in with the correct side down?

Uh oh, rookie response, I always put the tapered side up, don't know if that's correct or not, but used to shoot great in my old Traditions ML.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an older 700ML that shoots great with 100grains of pyrodex pellets and a 250 Barnes Spit-fire saboted bullet. I can hit 20oz pop bottles at 200 yards with that combination and have for about 17 or 18 years now. Thing is, I use percussion caps on it. It's possible that your 209 primers are too hot and giving your load a forward push just before the pellets ignite. If it is moving your bullet seating slightly, that could be throwing off your groupings.

Now I have a stainless Ruger 50 cal that won't shoot pyrodex worth a darn, but loves 777. Just try a few different combinations.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh oh, rookie response, I always put the tapered side up, don't know if that's correct or not, but used to shoot great in my old Traditions ML.
IMPORTANT:
Each Pyrodex Pellet contains a black ignitor on one end. When loading the Pellet, for best ignition, place the black ignitor end of the Pellet into the barrel first. No orientation is necessary for Triple Seven Pellets. https://www.hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a used one that my Father-in-law now owns. It would throw sabots sideways with pellet form of powder. With the lose powder, all 3 shots would touch at 100 yards.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it a 50cal? My 700ML 50 works best with 100grains weighed not measured of Pyrodex select (loose) and sabots. I have used a couple of different sabot combos and they all worked pretty well. The best were with 45 cal. 250gr bullets. I do not shoot a 209, I'm using musket caps. I did not have much luck with pellets either. Good luck!