Need info on my Mosin Nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. Looks like this weapon stayed in Austria and was what I thought now to see if it's a 53 r or 54r

What leads you to believe that the rifle was ever in Austrian hands? The only markings that I see are Finnish Civil Guard marking on the barrel shank and a Russian "Probaya Komissiya" Imperial Eagle on the receiver. Where is the AZF Austrian property mark? This is a Finnish rifle built with a German contract barrel on a reused Russian receiver.

Ronny...am I missing something or just on someone's ignore list? :wink2:

Keep shakin that bush

Sorry I just had to

Yeah boss! :patriot:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
chl, I've never owned a 24, so I've never researched them in the past. I haven't actually read the link I sent him, except to make sure it referenced his rifle. I can't make out the stamping on the top of the receiver, which I think is what he is referring to as the NK crown from Austria. I have never seen a stamping of the NK crown, but that doesn't mean much.

He'll probably get back to us.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
chl, I've never owned a 24, so I've never researched them in the past. I haven't actually read the link I sent him, except to make sure it referenced his rifle. I can't make out the stamping on the top of the receiver, which I think is what he is referring to as the NK crown from Austria. I have never seen a stamping of the NK crown, but that doesn't mean much.

He'll probably get back to us.

I've never seen or heard of an Austrian NK stamp. Google doesn't yield any results either. The stamp is a Russian PK Imperial Eagle (cryillic P which resembles a lower cased N) and can be seen under the crest photos in the link below.

http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/information/marks/

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a Finnish Captured m24. "new" finnish barrel on a captured m91 receiver. It's got the Imperial Eagle Seal with "PK". The tapered barrel is common in finnish rifles.
take the gun apart and check the bottom of the receiver for manufactures mark. also the trigger will have been refined and polished for a smoother/crisper pull.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

reddogglife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry had a APFT this morning went to bed early. I will look at this eagle but the site I found the crown and stamp was similar to Austrian not the eagle I'll take better pics and also at each my findings from sure next to it.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a fair amount of searching I was able to find a couple examples of an Austrian double headed eagle crest, both of which had AZF stampings. The photo below shows your M24's crest in the upper left, a Russian PK crest in the upper right, and the Austrian crest at the bottom. A close up photo of your crest would definitely help.

The crest still looks Russian to me with a partially struck or worn cyrillic P. A Russian crest would have been scrubbed before applying a new Austrian crest so there should be evidence of metal being removed if that is the case. If the crest is in fact Austrian, the receiver would have been recycled from an M91 captured by the Austro-Hungarian army (or received by Austria from Germans as a captured weapon) during conflict with Russia around 1915. Either way, it doesn't appear that there are any signs that the rifle spent any time in Austria after assembly by the Finns.

reddogglife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All right so Russian stamped with going mark German contracted by bolher stahl and the sets of number one bolt SN two Sn on barrel both all with S in front if numbers and no transport marks from overseas. So pretty good find at my lacol pawn shop.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lucas, that's good sleuthing. Keep up the good work.

reddogglife, I'd say you did alright. If that bore and crown are in good shape, I'll bet you find it pretty accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom