Need info on my Mosin Nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were are you getting the German mark at? the "S" on the barrel is Finnish.

I'm not sure that I know what a "going" mark is but I think he just meant that the barrel was a German contract Bohler-Stahl.

For reddogg...

If we all haven't made the point clear in previous posts, the Finnish built their various Mosin Nagant models (M91, M24, M27, M28, M28/30, M39, M91/30) off of purchased and captured Russian receivers and other parts. The Finns would then outfit these "recycled" receivers with their Finnish made or subcontracted barrels (such as the M24's Bohler-Stahl). Some parts such as stocks, sights, triggers etc can either be Finnish made or Russian in origin and converted to Finn specs.

You will also encounter Finnish Mosins (primarily M91's and M91/30's) that have been captured (not built from the ground up off of a receiver) and still retain most of their Russian traits. Most of them will still carry the Russian markings on the barrel shank and will be stamped with a boxed SA Finnish property mark. Some of these rifles were put back into service without any modifications. Others had altered stocks, shims, sights, or triggers before they were put into service in the Finnish army.

Here are examples of each type from my collection:

1942 VKT M39 - This rifle was built off of a Russian 1901 Izhevsk M91 receiver. The barrel, stock, sights, and trigger are all Finnish made. Other pieces such as the bolt parts and trigger guard are assembled from various Russian produced Mosin parts.

1936 Izhevsk M91/30 - This rifle was captured by the Finns during the Winter War with Russia. The barreled receiver and sights look to be as they were assembled by the Russians. After capturing the rifle the Finns installed a two piece stock. The rear portion is from a Russian M91 that was captured by Germany during WWI, the forend and hand guard are both Finnish made. The Finns modified most of their stocks to two-piece because they felt that there would be less chance of warping and splitting due to the extreme weather changes in Finland. The remaining parts on the rifle (bolt, magazine, buttplate) are from various Russian and U.S. produced M91 and M91/30 rifles.

Last edited:

reddogglife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys I think I tried to spell Finn and it came out with auto correct going. Sorry for that. I will clean this up and maybe hold on to it since it is my first rifle. Thank you again.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys I think I tried to spell Finn and it came out with auto correct going. Sorry for that. I will clean this up and maybe hold on to it since it is my first rifle. Thank you again.

A very nice first rifle to have. It has survived this long without any harm being done, so don't feel compelled to refinish the stock or alter the rifle in any way. This will destroy all collector value. Just make sure that the bore is clean and that the metal surfaces are protected by a good oil to keep rust from forming. If you want to give the stock a slight cleaning, feel free to wipe it down with a 50/50 mixture of BLO and Turpentine. I do not believe that the rifle has a D chamber stamp so stick to shooting light ball through it and clean accordingly if you are shooting surplus ammo.

Be sure to shoot me a pm if you decide to part with her. :naughty:

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot corrosive ammo, make sure to use ammonia or hotwater to clear out the salts, and do a regular clean on it. Don't bubba up that rifle, it'd be a dam shame..

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
reddogglife, I'm sure you've figured out by now that surplus rifle collectors and wannabees are a little bit anal about these fine old rifles. Truth is, it's yours and you can do anything you want with it. But, as it sits right now, it will only go up in value. If you start "improving" it, that won't happen.

I recommend you enjoy it as it is.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, please dont modify it. That will only hurt the value.
If you shoot surplus through it run some hot water down the bore after shooting and then clean as you would normally with hoppes #9 or whatnot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom