Nelson Mandela will not be down for breakfast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is South Africa a better country today than it was when he was in prison? I guess it depends on who was getting killed by who. Apartheid was not a good thing. However, SA is the most successful African nation by pretty much any measure. Would it be so successful if African tribes had ruled it continuously? Still, crime, poverty and AIDS are rampant in SA right now. If the end of Apartheid and the rise of Mandela were such a great thing (seeing as all the media are fawning over him currently), wouldn't SA have become an even better place than it was in the 70's? Am I to assume that "whitey" is to blame?

It seems to me that if you tallied all the successes and failures, then placed them before a panel of judges who were given no geographic or race information, perhaps Mandela and his legacy wouldn't be seen as such a great thing? If we're to be truly color blind, shouldn't we yearn for a meritocracy rather than an ineptocracy? Just sayin'... :anyone:

Well said.

Under Mandela SA traded one form of racial discrimination for another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom