New Ithica 1911...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my first 1911, a Colt Series 70 reproduction, as it was about the closest to the original design I could get, from an original GI manufacturer, for a reasonable price.

Yeah the series 70s are nice, but I bet you probably paid more than $400-500 for it. Did it have the arched MSH and low profile GI sights?

Mine is a 1927 Sistema Colt in the same configuration as what the GIs were issued. It's also built to colt specs with quality metal and excellent fit. The only differencr that I've seen is the part where your thumb goes on the hammer looks different from a US GI 1911. I picked it up local for $400 with all matching numbers.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the series 70s are nice, but I bet you probably paid more than $400-500 for it. Did it have the arched MSH and low profile GI sights?

Mine is a 1927 Sistema Colt in the same configuration as what the GIs were issued. It's also built to colt specs with quality metal and excellent fit. The only differencr that I've seen is the part where your thumb goes on the hammer looks different from a US GI 1911. I picked it up local for $400 with all matching numbers.

Yes and yes to your questions. To be honest, I gave a little over 8 Benjamins for it (it was/still is brand new in box), which was a good price locally I thought - less actually than any online retailer.

I would have picked up a Sistema, but finding those type of things when you are ready to buy can be a challenge. That, and I will admit I wanted a "real" US Colt, just because. I know it's not necessarily better that other models, but I wanted one to collect if nothing else :)

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and yes to your questions. To be honest, I gave a little over 8 Benjamins for it (it was/still is brand new in box), which was a good price locally I thought - less actually than any online retailer.

I would have picked up a Sistema, but finding those type of things when you are ready to buy can be a challenge. That, and I will admit I wanted a "real" US Colt, just because. I know it's not necessarily better that other models, but I wanted one to collect if nothing else :)

I know what you mean. I wanted to find a nice colt, but just didn't have the patience to save up for one. I was going to buy a Springfield GI, but then I stumbled on to this Sistema. Some of the prices gunbroker has on the sistema's are crazy high. They also have some other variations with weird looking slide serrations.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a somewhat unrelated note, I think it is funny that Springfield (the original company) made 1911s during WWI, but their GI model they market today is an A1 model.

Today's Springfield is in name only and not related to the original. They sale everything they build so I doubt if they are interested in coming out with a new model/reproduction of and old model. Would be cool tho.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man-0-man...

I can't tell ya how many people look at me like I'm "Nucking Futs"when I tell them that a full house custom can run $3500-$4000. Here comes Ithaca counting on the WWII reputation of their production run of 1911's adding some swirl marks, a funky looking barrel bushing, and gawdy advertising on the pistol like its a magic wand and asking $3499 :shocked:....wouldn't want to use G-d's name in vain, but give me a break.:pms2: I would tell people to go to Wilson, Nighthawk, ED Brown,or Colt, in a "flash," before investing in that Ithaca...

Mini rant over,

Barry

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man-0-man...

I can't tell ya how many people look at me like I'm "Nucking Futs"when I tell them that a full house custom can run $3500-$4000. Here comes Ithaca counting on the WWII reputation of their production run of 1911's adding some swirl marks, a funky looking barrel bushing, and gawdy advertising on the pistol like its a magic wand and asking $3499 :shocked:....wouldn't want to use G-d's name in vain, but give me a break.:pms2: I would tell people to go to Wilson, Nighthawk, ED Brown,or Colt, in a "flash," before investing in that Ithaca...

Mini rant over,

Barry

:ugh2: How about paying $4500 for a Kimber because it has a pretty case-hardened frame?

:)

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man-0-man...

Mini rant over,

Barry

And for that price you would think it could handle loading any bullet profile thrown at it.

Personally the swirl marks on the barrel, guide rod, and mags are ugly, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom