New Jersey Senator Frank Laughtenberg dies at 89

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know who will replace him but that person will be appointed by the Republican Governor Chris Christie and whatever you may think of the governor anyone he appoints will be better than the late Sen. Lautenberg.

I just did a little research and there is some kind of discrepency in NJ law about filling a vacant US Senate seat and for how long such an appointment is valid. It should be interesting to watch this over the next few days/weeks.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know who will replace him but that person will be appointed by the Republican Governor Chris Christie and whatever you may think of the governor anyone he appoints will be better than the late Sen. Lautenberg.

I just did a little research and there is some kind of discrepency in NJ law about filling a vacant US Senate seat and for how long such an appointment is valid. It should be interesting to watch this over the next few days/weeks.

I beg to differ. Nothing good comes out of Jersey. Nothing...

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised there wasn't a "Frank Lautenberg won't be down for breakfast" thread in GD.

It will indeed be interesting to see who the "front runner for the 2016 Republican nomination" (you know that's what the MSM will call him) appoints. He's got to walk a fine line between drawing criticism from his own party that could bite him in the ass in the presidential primary, and keeping his base happy. I'm guessing he will pick a Republican, but it will be the most liberal one he can find.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised there wasn't a "Frank Lautenberg won't be down for breakfast" thread in GD.

It will indeed be interesting to see who the "front runner for the 2016 Republican nomination" (you know that's what the MSM will call him) appoints. He's got to walk a fine line between drawing criticism from his own party that could bite him in the ass in the presidential primary, and keeping his base happy. I'm guessing he will pick a Republican, but it will be the most liberal one he can find.

I think you are half-right, Gov Christie will appoint a Republican but not on the basis of Liberal/Conservative. Rather, he will go for a non-controversial figure, someone who is popular in NJ. Most likely former Gov. Kean or Kean's son is my guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom