New leather sling question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewball

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a new military leather sling for an M1 rifle I need to oil. In the past I've always used linseed oil. Is there a better product for this now on the market. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stew

Bushman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When ever I buy a new baseball glove it is very stiff. I use mink oil (walmart shoe section) it softens the leather and makes it more plyable. After the first aplication use it only if it gets dry and stiff again. Over use of mink oil on leather will weaken it. I love the stuff and use it to water prof and break in my work boots.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got a new military leather sling for an M1 rifle I need to oil. In the past I've always used linseed oil. Is there a better product for this now on the market. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stew

Are you using this sling to shoot with or just to carry the rifle??

If your using it to shoot with you'll need an oil that won't seep back into your clothing, such as whats used for ball mits and such, or you'd better purchase a shooting jacket, cause your wife or girlfriend or who ever wash's your shirts are gonna be pissed with that line mark going around your support arm.

Stainlessbutcher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neatsfoot or mink oil is what I've always used, but there are other products out there. You might check Tandy Leather's website and some of the sporting goods places. Neatsfoot and Mink oils will both tend to rub off on your clothing if you don't wax/seal the leather afterwards.

B.

Latest posts

Top Bottom