New pipe fence - paint or leave rusty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve got pipe corrals that are atleast 40 years old maybe 50 and still standing and absorbing pressure from cattle. They are unpainted. We have one big set of corrals down at what you might call the headquarters and it was painted about 5 years ago. It was painted white with what the painter said was commercial marine grade pipe used on ships. There’s a few of these traveling painters that come through here every year or two going door to door looking to paint barns, corrals and feed bins. The paint has held up well. The guy has a a big crew and the use sprayers. I’m sure there’s lots of waste but it is done fast. Real fast. Lol. Now for my opinion, like I said we’ve got many corrals and fence braces that are many years old unpainted and held up fine. It’s important to have fully welded joints and capped tops. Water inside the pipe is what causes problems. Now another reason I’m against painted (especially bright like white) corrals is that cattle booger when being gathered into them. Same goes for brightly colored stock trailers. My last stock trailer I bought was tan. It’s a pretty sucker all washed up and I do keep it washed most of the time but the first few loads after washing it are the hardest to load. I know I brought up some points that may not apply to your situation but there ya have it. In summary, my advice is use good pipe, fully weld joints, cap all openings and leave it bare.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
leave it. Mine was originally white, not so much now.
If you paint, aluminum colored paint probably lasts the longest.
The highline poles are left to rust nowadays.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve got pipe corrals that are atleast 40 years old maybe 50 and still standing and absorbing pressure from cattle. They are unpainted. We have one big set of corrals down at what you might call the headquarters and it was painted about 5 years ago. It was painted white with what the painter said was commercial marine grade pipe used on ships. There’s a few of these traveling painters that come through here every year or two going door to door looking to paint barns, corrals and feed bins. The paint has held up well. The guy has a a big crew and the use sprayers. I’m sure there’s lots of waste but it is done fast. Real fast. Lol. Now for my opinion, like I said we’ve got many corrals and fence braces that are many years old unpainted and held up fine. It’s important to have fully welded joints and capped tops. Water inside the pipe is what causes problems. Now another reason I’m against painted (especially bright like white) corrals is that cattle booger when being gathered into them. Same goes for brightly colored stock trailers. My last stock trailer I bought was tan. It’s a pretty sucker all washed up and I do keep it washed most of the time but the first few loads after washing it are the hardest to load. I know I brought up some points that may not apply to your situation but there ya have it. In summary, my advice is use good pipe, fully weld joints, cap all openings and leave it bare.
They are fully welded and capped. Thanks, your post makes me fell better about not painting. Wasn't sure if I was just being lazy.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've painted several thousand feet of pipe fence in the last couple years (I'm a paint contractor).
Spraying wastes too much material and doesn't give you the mils for longevity.
Mini roller is the way to go.
Doesn't waste material and gives you the mils you need
Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial Waterborne Urethane is what you want.
Satin or low sheen in black
I know this is an old thread, but would appreciate more info. I will be painting about 500' of oilfield pipe plus 4.5" pipe for an overhead entrance. 300' on the road is ready to paint. I'm wire brushing and rust preventer (ospho type product) all of it.

My local Sherwin Williams recommended a direct to metal paint. What's the difference in this alkyd enamel semi gloss and the waterborne urethane you recommend?

I want it to look good and last a long, long time. I prefer to do it right the first time.

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but would appreciate more info. I will be painting about 500' of oilfield pipe plus 4.5" pipe for an overhead entrance. 300' on the road is ready to paint. I'm wire brushing and rust preventer (ospho type product) all of it.

My local Sherwin Williams recommended a direct to metal paint. What's the difference in this alkyd enamel semi gloss and the waterborne urethane you recommend?

I want it to look good and last a long, long time. I prefer to do it right the first time.
I wouldn't use a pure alkyd (oil) base product because it'll fade quicker.
I also wouldn't use a DTM because I just don't care for it
It's soft and scratches off.
The waterborne alkyd is a hybrid with the best qualities of both plus the color and sheen retention in a urethane.
I have another pipe fence to do next month and I'll be using it again.
I tend to stick with what I know works

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a pure alkyd (oil) base product because it'll fade quicker.
I also wouldn't use a DTM because I just don't care for it
It's soft and scratches off.
The waterborne alkyd is a hybrid with the best qualities of both plus the color and sheen retention in a urethane.
I have another pipe fence to do next month and I'll be using it again.
I tend to stick with what I know works
I'm brushing the rust and using a rust converter. Would you use a primer under the urethane?

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm brushing the rust and using a rust converter. Would you use a primer under the urethane?
This is what I've been using from Lowe's and I've had good luck with it and the WBAU from SW.
Any rust inhibitive red oxide primer would work though.
Prime one day, paint the next

Attachments

• 777555_750x.jpg
    777555_750x.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom