New Remington 7mm fires when not supposed to...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunter34

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has heard about or had the same problem I had with my New Remington 7mm Bolt Action.. I got out to shoot the new gun to get it ready for season and the first 2 shots the gun works great. The 3rd shot I pull the trigger nothing happens,so I reach up to put the safety on and BOOM... It fires.. not good. I try it one more time, and same thing pull trigger, nothing happens. I reach up to put it on safety and the safety is stuck, so I go to take the shell out, and when I touch the bolt, BOOM it goes off. Has this heppened to anyone else?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
saw that on one of the outdoor shows. Remy will fix it, but guess this is the reason for the newer x model rifles..so they show said.

holy cow...an mechanical failure with a 7mm mag...that could be very dangerous.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happened several times to a guy in our hunting camp in a few years ago. He got it fixed and then sold it. His was a 7mm mag too.

I've heard it can go off when guys are messing with the bolt too. Remember to always keep any gun pointed in a safe direction. Mechanical things can fail.

bowhunter34

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, it could have been very dangerous, but I'm just glad I knew what I was doing. There are some people out there that don't and it could have killed someone. I sure hope Remington will fix this one or get me another. I dont want to be out that much money.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like someone's tampered with it.

Just to be clear, this is in a model 710? I've heard of issues in the 710 specifically in 7mm, but not anything specific to 7mm in the 700 (other than the regular trigger issue in the 700 that's in the media now).

Again, I've never seen an issue (on an older Remy 700 trigger) that didn't involve someone somewhere having adjusted it.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like someone's tampered with it.

Just to be clear, this is in a model 710? I've heard of issues in the 710 specifically in 7mm, but not anything specific to 7mm in the 700 (other than the regular trigger issue in the 700 that's in the media now).

Again, I've never seen an issue (on an older Remy 700 trigger) that didn't involve someone somewhere having adjusted it.

If its brand new it may be a 770. Pretty sure they discontinued the 710 a while back but I may be wrong. Looked at the 770's before and the bolts on those thing are junk.

teumessian_fox

Marksman
Reaction score
I had a 700 BDL 270 that discharged once when I thumbed off the safety. I was hunting at the time and it sure woke me up. I sold that gun.

Then I bought the same rifle in 30-06, but took it to a gunsmith and for $20 he performed the Remington safety modification.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An friend of mine had a .300 win mag that would do that. Simple cleaning of the bolt face and firing pin hole solved the problem on his.

Even though I knew it was going to happen, when I pulled the trigger and nothing happened, I instinctively raised my head off the stock and started to relax.... just when it went off. That was fun.