New Remington 7mm fires when not supposed to...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched a 1 hour documentary on this the other night on CNBC here is a link that tells about it.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39418714

It re-airs again at 8pm tomorrow night on CNBC.

CNBC have little to no facts right in that documentary. Their witnesses are third parties without any way to substantiate their claims. Some of them didn't even work for Remington Firearms, they worked in other divisions. None of their "witnesses" have ever seen the problem they're complaining about either ....they've just "heard of it." (As ElkStalkR wrote...see here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...al-different-look-remington-model-700-trigger)

To the Original Poster:
Is this a new 770 you purchased? The 770s used the old trigger assembly (the one requiring modification). Any new rifle sold after 2007 should have already had the trigger assembly fixed (including anything with the x-mark trigger).

If you own a NEW model 700 (not a 710 or 770 - cheap, cheap versions for the amateur) this problem should NOT exist.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CNBC have little to no facts right in that documentary. Their witnesses are third parties without any way to substantiate their claims. Some of them didn't even work for Remington Firearms, they worked in other divisions. None of their "witnesses" have ever seen the problem they're complaining about either ....they've just "heard of it." (As ElkStalkR wrote...see here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...al-different-look-remington-model-700-trigger)

To the Original Poster:
Is this a new 770 you purchased? The 770s used the old trigger assembly (the one requiring modification). Any new rifle sold after 2007 should have already had the trigger assembly fixed (including anything with the x-mark trigger).

If you own a NEW model 700 (not a 710 or 770 - cheap, cheap versions for the amateur) this problem should NOT exist.

Should the problem exist with the "cheaper versions for the amateur?"

I have known about the Remington safety problem for a long time . It's real, and Remington should be ashamed of how they have mishandled it. Just because I like guns is not enough reason for me to give them a pass on selling a known safety problem for many years.

I watched the entire documentary, and my recollection of content doesn't exactly match what you have written here. CB

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/COLOR]

Should the problem exist with the "cheaper versions for the amateur?"

I have known about the Remington safety problem for a long time . It's real, and Remington should be ashamed of how they have mishandled it. Just because I like guns is not enough reason for me to give them a pass on selling a known safety problem for many years.

I watched the entire documentary, and my recollection of content doesn't exactly match what you have written here. CB

The "problem" exists on modified trigger assemblies.

No matter how much faith I have in my firearms, I NEVER point them in a direction that I'm not willing to have lead fly at. You're talking about a machine holding a fast moving, hard hitting projectile that will release at the pull of a tiny piece of metal. NOTHING is fail proof. Remington has been completely honest in saying that IF you do have an issue, they'll help you get it fixed, but there is NOT a major issue with the gun and there is NOT a reoccurring issue with the gun. There are occasional issues that they handle on a case by case basis, mostly with guns that have user-modified triggers. In the you-tube age, anyone can adjust their trigger right out of the box and think that its ok to do so. It's simply not. The cheaper amateur models (like the 770) make it that much easier to do it. Maybe that is Remington's flaw - making it too easy to adjust. But stupidity of users is not their fault. Just because my truck can go to 150mph doesn't mean I should pop off the governer and push it. That's stupid.

Also, I don't know how you can watch that documentary (and I did) and NOT see how obviously poor their journalism is. No tough questions are asked of their "witnesses." It was biased to begin with. Their key witness didn't work for the firearm division. The police armorer who said the accidents are called "Remington moments" was never even asked if the guns were modified or stock. No one bothered to ask why the military would sign another contract with a gun so obviously flawed. It was sh*tty journalism and a piss-poor excuse of a documentary.

Sorry I get so worked up about it, but at the end of the day, if you're treating your firearm like its ALWAYS supposed to be treated, these issues will NEVER occur.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also watched that documentary.... if you see it again... pay special attention to what the actual designer has to say.

he stated problems was due to parts not being mfg to tolerances.
TV documentary makers probably took hours of interview and condensed it down to the most negative 2or 3 sentences.

in agreement with problems can be caused by incorrect adjustment of trigger and/or trigger work done by someone that had no business working on triggers.

defects or not aside.... there's a good reason for safety rule of never point your firearm at anything you don't want destroyed.

I watched a 1 hour documentary on this the other night on CNBC here is a link that tells about it.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39418714

It re-airs again at 8pm tomorrow night on CNBC.