New Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense Load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will matter. The sectional density of the shot as a whole will be way less with bird shot. This is why it makes shallow superficial wounds. I would not trust bird shot in any defense situation.

00 or bust for me.

I wasn't saying just any defense situation. My hallways may not be as long as yours, but the furthest length of any opening in my house is no longer than 18 feet. That is 6 yards. Unless you are shooting sawed offs less than legal length barrels I stand by my 1 oz of lead from a 12 gauge won't even be separated from the wad at that distance.

I am not arguing that 00 isn't better for all defense situations.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I wasn't saying just any defense situation. My hallways may not be as long as yours, but the furthest length of any opening in my house is no longer than 18 feet. That is 6 yards. Unless you are shooting sawed offs less than legal length barrels I stand by my 1 oz of lead from a 12 gauge won't even be separated from the wad at that distance.

I am not arguing that 00 isn't better for all defense situations.

At that distance it would be less of a difference, but it will still be a huge difference in the depth and damage of the wound. They may all strike within an inch of each other, but once in the flesh, each of those tiny pellets acts as an individual body, not as a unified mass, so each pellet only has the (relatively) tiny amount of energy associated with it's own mass, NOT the whole shot, and will slow and stop much faster than the larger pellets of buckshot. If your attacker is naked, and you aim for the gut, or put two real fast in the same spot, your argument is valid. Otherwise, going through heavy clothing, and/or bones will likely prevent quickly incapacitating wounds.

Granted, most attackers would flee at that point, but if they didn't, I'd want to be shooting something that would make them stop right now, rather than something that is intended for the birds.

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
......... Otherwise, going through heavy clothing, and/or bones will likely prevent quickly incapacitating wounds.

Granted, most attackers would flee at that point, but if they didn't, I'd want to be shooting something that would make them stop right now, rather than something that is intended for the birds.

That's why my Rem 870 is loaded with #8 in the first two rounds, followed by two 00 buck, and lastly, a Slug. On my saddle, I have 00, slugs, and ONE less than lethal bean bag round.

I figure if the first 2 don't scare the HELL out of the intruder and get enough spread to at least 'mark him', then the 00 follow-up WILL. And if I miss or something fails, I'll start plastering the walls with slugs and/or transition to a .223 platform by then.

I've had a home invasion before and didn't get a single shot off because of poor placement of my gun (coming home late, drunk, and throwing my gun belt in the closet! bad ju-ju!). The perp ended up walking because there was no evidence (long story - there WAS evidence, but the perp has family on the Bench and worked for the court, etc etc).

Had I been able to even GRAZE him with a round - it would be definitive evidence (well, sorta) that he was THE perp that entered my home. That's why I like #8. At 15 feet, it's gonna hurt - thick clothing or not - and most likely, it will penetrate far enough to require a trip to the ER promptly! (ESPECIALLY at 15 feet! LoL)... if he still wants more, I'll start lobbing .30cal balls his direction in groups of 9! LMAO THAT will leave a mark!

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw them too at Academy too. Seems like other manufacturers are looking into loads like this. Hevi shot has the Maximum Defense rounds http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=11

I've heard good things about their dead coyote rounds for hunting but wonder if their Maximum Defense rounds are lacking in penetration. I have not seen anything demonstrating how far they penetrate. Either way I'm still sticking to my bulk packed 00.

Latest posts

Top Bottom