New Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres my Russian and Jap
Arisaka
ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_caboose715rain_Gun_20Collection_PICT0857.jpg

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_caboose715rain_Gun_20Collection_PICT0858.jpg

Russian
ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_caboose715rain_Gun_20Collection_PICT0856.jpg

ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww258_caboose715rain_Gun_20Collection_PICT0855.jpg

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifles look good. I am interested in what the one gentleman said about ammo. What can hurt the gun? Since only the bullet is a different shape at the tip whats the difference? I am not questioning just never heard this before. I also have a M1 that has been modified to a 308. I wonder what ammo that needs?

Kris

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice looking Arisaka.

As for the aftermarket question I wouldn't do anything to them.
Thier value is greatly enhanced by leaving them original.
These aren't weekend gangster guns. They're pieces of history.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see in the pic if your arisaka has the chrysanthemum on top of the receiver.
The Japanese ground the chrysanthemum off rifles at the time of surrender. The flower was a symbol of the Emperor, and they believed it should not be turned over to a conqueror. Consequently, you'll find the flower ground off on rifles that were in Japan or some other unoccupied area at the time of surrender- the Japanese had time to grind the flower off before turning over the rifles.
Arisakas with the flower intact are characteristic of rifles picked up on the battlefield. Often referred to as a 'GI bringback.' Another clue that this Arisaka is a battlefield pick up is that the dust cover is missing. There was a dust cover over the loading port of the action on many Arisakas. Since the dust cover got in the way, and rattled, most soldiers removed them and threw them away immediately.
Arisakas are commonly found with flowers, and with flowers ground off. Dust covers are less common.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the Garand was made in August of 1944.There are folding stocks and scope mounts for the carbine.Some of the stocks require minor fitting to fit a Universal.A friend has a Universal that will shoot 1 moa with irons.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rifles look good. I am interested in what the one gentleman said about ammo. What can hurt the gun? Since only the bullet is a different shape at the tip whats the difference? I am not questioning just never heard this before. I also have a M1 that has been modified to a 308. I wonder what ammo that needs?

Kris

As to the question on the M1 Garand. They were designed to operate within a very small window with certain 30-06 ammo i.e. bullet weight and powder charge. If you want your Garand to last don't use anything but surplus ball ammo, or Norma's new loading for the Garand.

As to yours being modified to .308/7.62, I think unless specific parts were changed the same applies.

LaneS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes the flower is ground off of the Arisaka, and as for the modifications i was talking about, I am wanting to get synthetic bodies for all to preserve the original wood stocks and I would also loke to get scopes for them.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As to the question on the M1 Garand. They were designed to operate within a very small window with certain 30-06 ammo i.e. bullet weight and powder charge. If you want your Garand to last don't use anything but surplus ball ammo, or Norma's new loading for the Garand.

As to yours being modified to .308/7.62, I think unless specific parts were changed the same applies.

Just to expand on lpd4570s' answer, the mean velocity of Ball M2 (the round for the Garand) is 2700 fps achieved with a 150fmj loaded with powder in the burning range between IMR 4895 and IMR 4064, a narrow burning range. MOST factory loaded ammo in .30-06 cal. today doesn't fall within that burning range or velocity and, as such, generates GREATER pressures at the GAS PORT and will, eventually, bend the operating rod (price a good one, you won't want to buy many). The Garands that are 7.62 x 51mm are designed to shoot Ball M80 or the equivilant, so is the M1A/M14 family of rifles. Mean velocity for that round is 2750fps w/150g. fmj. Also, loaded in the burning range from IMR4895 to IMR4064. The gas port (hole where the gas enters the cylinder to cycle the rifle) on Garands barreled for 7.62 x51 is SMALLER because that round operates at HIGHER pressure than Ball M2. MOST commercial .308 (same OUTSIDE dimentions as 7.62x51mm) is loaded outside of Ball M80 burning range and velocities, another bent op rod.

LaneS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I've had the Russian for over 3 years now and I'm just starting to get some more, and as far as surplus, I was good friends with the supply sergeant on base and I have collected a ton of junk lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom