New Scope (if you can't afford much check this one out)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have iron sights on my AR, and thats another huge expense that I cannot take on right now that is why I went with the cheapo scope for now. For the iron sights I have to have a front sight that works on a gas block and the only one I found that does that is the Troy which for a Troy set we all know its not cheap. I very much appreciate your input guys, I simply put this up to let others like myself who cannot afford to spend a ton of money on optics right now know that there was a cheap scope that was at least a bit better then the ones you get at Wally World.

not to talk smack, but CTD has a great many products on their site that are below Wal-Mart quality. Barska is one of those brands. Check out Primary Optics' stuff, its easily a few steps above Barska. I would seriously return that optic to CTD and use the money towards something even a little better. Trust me, I've been there - owned plenty of Barska, CenterPoint, and NCstar optics. None of them were worth it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you feel like everyone's piling on you for bringing up what looks like a decent deal on a scope, but I do have to agree with the others here. I find it interesting you'd have blown your entire fund on a Giessele trigger when you don't have any iron sights on your AR. It's certainly your decision, but I'd have put the money toward a good set of iron sights first and lived with the stock trigger until I could afford either the Giessele or a mid-level scope. I do hope your scope holds up, though!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. A quality optic would have done far more for your accuarcy than a slick trigger.

A trigger is definitely going to help with accuracy. Along with a quality barrel. These 2 things are the most important as far as rifle accuracy goes. However, a quality scope is definitely going to help with shooter accuracy. I'm going to have to agree that a higher quality scope would be a "must have" on a precision rifle. Coupled with a nice trigger and a good barrel. Going with quality parts in these 3 areas, is going to make a good shooter great...

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again guys this was a cheap scope that gives me the ability to get out and shoot, I also have a red dot that I used this past weekend but felt the need to be able to see a bit farther. I didn't say I was not going to get a quality scope later on, in fact I am contemplating getting a Vortex scope later on once I have set some money aside.

My intention was not to have everyone tell me how crappy the scope was nor was it for people to tell me that I should have put the money into a scope rather than an optic. I am not new to shooting I have been around it all my life and I know the difference between quality and cheap (hence why I called the scope cheap in the first place). I work full time and support my family while paying off our debts that accrued while I was unable to get a job a few years back, I love to get out and shoot and I had built an AR back in California and wanted to build another one here that did not have all of the crappy CA safety BS. I traded and sold ammo, guns and gun parts to get to the point that I could afford the build and when all was done I only had enough for a cheap scope for now.

Again I appreciate everyones input but this thread completely ran away from the point that I was originally trying to make.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A trigger is definitely going to help with accuracy.

How is trigger going to help with "accuracy"?

I've been shooting Milsurp competitively for the last 4 years, and the only difference I can tell between Mosin's 6lb pull and timney 6oz pull is the time it takes to squeeze it - which leads to more fatigue in the long run. Yeah, gritty and notchy sears are gross - but it shouldn't affect the technique or accuracy.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is trigger going to help with "accuracy"?

I've been shooting Milsurp competitively for the last 4 years, and the only difference I can tell between Mosin's 6lb pull and timney 6oz pull is the time it takes to squeeze it - which leads to more fatigue in the long run. Yeah, gritty and notchy sears are gross - but it shouldn't affect the technique or accuracy.

A good trigger is definitely a big piece in the puzzle. It is the part you interact with the most on a firearm. If it's too heavy or sloppy, then you will have to compensate for this, taking focus away from the objective of making a well placed shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom