New Sports Illustrated Swim Suit issue is out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is in total disregard to their audience or subscribers, odds are virtue signaling. I can agree that beauty comes in many forms, I do not agree that alternate ideas and photos it should be crammed down their audiences collective throat. We were doing better as humans before that. All this cover has done has gotten 3/4 of the people here cracking jokes about horizontally challenged women.
perhaps that says more about some than it does the magazine.

And 'crammed down their audience's collective throats' is a fancy way of saying that some people can't tolerate being indirectly shown something i guess. I mean, it's not like you had to buy the magazine, it simply exists. people are free to look at it and move on.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should have done that this year. What better way to illustrate the benefits of healthy at any size?

One of the ways our society has slipped is the inability to state the truth. I don’t care if 90% of Americans are lardasses, it’s not something to celebrate.

Make a lot more sense to celebrate some who have worked hard to achieve an athletic body, or accomplished some physical goal in a sports magazine.
did anyone beyond this thread make the claim that this model was healthy in a physical sense? Or are we simply beating that strawman again and again?

Now, does she look pretty? that seems to be a different goal and one that some will say yes to and some no.

And where does it say that the swimsuit issue had to celebrate the athletic body specifically?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
perhaps that says more about some than it does the magazine.

And 'crammed down their audience's collective throats' is a fancy way of saying that some people can't tolerate being indirectly shown something i guess. I mean, it's not like you had to buy the magazine, it simply exists. people are free to look at it and move on.
Think most don't buy, many will not renew.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm good with that if that's what they want to show. There is some inspiration there - look what they've accomplished sort of thing.

Same story with the fat girl? Look what she accomplished? Really?
Yes, 100% virtue signaling.
Don't get hung up on the word diverse as in multicultural. It can also simply mean varied. As in not every woman is a size 0 so why only show that?

And again, you seem to require a level of 'accomplishment' of your own creation. Not every story in a magazine must appeal to each reader. Not every model shown must appeal to each viewer. Perhaps you aren't the target audience here.

But that doesn't mean it failed to 'accomplish' anything.

Showing plus sized women that they can look pretty in a swimsuit might have actually been the goal (even if she is unhealthy).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think most don't buy, many will not renew.
And that is their choice. But a 25% chance of getting a cover that you, the subscriber, doesn't like is not cramming anything anywhere. lol.

it's amazing how many people (on both sides) melt at the mere idea of being shown something they disagree with through services they opt into using voluntarily. Maybe this cover should have been behind the old piece of paper so the kiddies couldn't accidentally see it on the store shelves. They could have also included a trigger warning for those more sensitive adult males too, i guess.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
did anyone beyond this thread make the claim that this model was healthy in a physical sense? Or are we simply beating that strawman again and again?

Now, does she look pretty? that seems to be a different goal and one that some will say yes to and some no.

And where does it say that the swimsuit issue had to celebrate the athletic body specifically?
“It” doesn’t say what the swimsuit issue celebrates specifically.
There’s a market. If SI can sell more magazines by featuring women that have more lard than a wild hog, more power to them.

A magazine dedicated to sports- I would have thought- would likely feature women that participate in sports. Perhaps I was wrong, I guess competitive eating could be considered a sport.

Seriously- I kind of like the good old body shaming, degrading abuse of fat slugs like Private Pyle. Shame is a path to self improvement. Women in particular seem to comfort and reassure each other “how great they look”, even as they gasp walking up stairs.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ealey_Chase-WCh22.JPG
This is Chase Ealey. Do we think she is unfit to show because of her size? What if she was in a swimsuit and we didn't know that she was the first US woman to win a shot put world title for us?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“It” doesn’t say what the swimsuit issue celebrates specifically.
There’s a market. If SI can sell more magazines by featuring women that have more lard than a wild hog, more power to them.

A magazine dedicated to sports- I would have thought- would likely feature women that participate in sports. Perhaps I was wrong, I guess competitive eating could be considered a sport.

Seriously- I kind of like the good old body shaming, degrading abuse of fat slugs like Private Pyle. Shame is a path to self improvement. Women in particular seem to comfort and reassure each other “how great they look”, even as they gasp walking up stairs.
true. though mental health care is growing in importance as part of overall care. Could showing a plus sized woman that she is pretty at any weight help bring her stability? Could that in turn lead to better choices and weight loss? Who knows.

Emotional eating is a thing, for both genders.

And i wonder how many of the underweight models of past issues truly represented the athletic body, too.

So again, it seems like people are going to great lengths to assign rules to something that never existed in the past.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So again, it seems like people are going to great lengths to assign rules to something that never existed in the past.
No rules here, other than let the market decide. I’ve never purchased SI, and likely never will.

This glorification of lardasses in advertising is simply catering to a group that would rather be comforted than face reality.

It’s not a bad thing for me. Wife is in the medical field, so this widespread obesity epidemic ensures a steady stream of future patients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom