Nosler m48 patriot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bit the bullet the other day and picked up a new rifle. I've been wanting either a 26 or 28 nosler since the 26 was introduced a few years ago. I've handled the nosler rifles and have been impressed with the overall fit and finish. Range reports from guys I know and respect have been awesome in the accuracy department. I initially was set on a 26 ordered dies and brass in early 2014. Then nosler introduced a caliber that made my sticker peck out the 28. I have a love for fast ...284" calibers. So I sold the 26 dies and brass as well as .264" barrel I'd bought to build another custom rifle with. I own several heavy (10 lb plus) long range guns. Since I've gotten more into backcountry hunting I've been wanting another shoot able light weight (sub 8lb scoped) long range rifle. Already have a ridiculously accurate custom 7stw. Still I longed for another. I had two rifles that honestly didn't shoot to my standards that I was considering rebarreling and doing more gunsmithing to try to get them to shoot to my standards. Instead I decided to trade them on a nosler model 48 patriot. The cabelas has had a few 26's and one of the heritage (wood stocked) in 28 in so I got to thoroughly inspect the rifles. I called on Wednesday and the received a patriot in 28. Friday I went in and picked it up. They allowed me almost 1300 in trade for my two lemon rifles (disclaimer * by lemon I mean a minute and a half of accuracy* more than accurate enough for most people I however strive for sub minute guns in my collection ) there was also some wiggle room in cabelas price. (I've bought a few through cabelas gun rooms in the past and this has always been the case) since it was a premium rifle it was in the gun room and not the regular firearms department. So I was able to cull my stable of firearms and be into a quality gun for not a lot of out of pocket. I have dies and brass that should be here Monday and lightweight talley mounts that ups shows to arrive on Tuesday. I picked up a kahles 3-9-44 a couple of years ago that has been sitting in my safe without a rifle to go on until yesterday ! Initial impressions of my new rifle are this is one extremely nice rifle. The bell and Carlson stock is nice with the textured webbing. The trigger is a rifle basix that breaks at a crisp 2lb 3oz according to my gauge. No creep or over travel can be detected either. The ceracote is well done on all the metal parts. Weight is listed at 7lb 11oz on the Spec sheet but according to my scale mine weighs 7lb 4oz. With scope and rings I'll be super close to my 8lb benchmark. With some minor tweaks I bet I can shave a few more ounces off. It points and shoulders like a fine bird gun the bolt is smooth as silk with no slop or play detected. I have several different bullets on hand for testing. I found two hundred long range accubonds late this summer I picked up as well as Barnes Sierra and as much as I don't like them bergers laying around to do some testing. Velocity has been incredible from the gentlemen I've spoke with as well as *published* velocity from nosler. In most cases handloaders are getting substantial gains in velocity with zero pressure signs as well. So you're getting a great rifle at a good price. Msrp is 1850 on the rifles street prices are in the 16-1800 dollar range. I have a great fun project for the winter now. Hope this gun lives up to accuracy potential it has. I'll post more Picts and a range report will follow as well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448751979.931819.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1448751998.839311.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1448752040.877937.jpg

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 160gn at 3300 and a 175 at 3125. I'm pushing 160's faster than that out of my stw I bet I can safely get 3600 fps with a 140 gn. Time will tell. [emoji58]

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Detailed M48 Patriot[emoji769] Rifle Features

1. A composite stock reinforced with aramid fibers and an aluminum bedding chassis provide a lightweight and durable platform for the Nosler Model 48 action. Weather will not cause the stock to swell or warp, leading to consistent shot placement in any condition.
2. Contoured to accept any standard 2-Piece scope base that would otherwise fit a Remington[emoji768] Model 700[emoji769].

3. A shadow-line cheekpiece provides a consistent and comfortable cheek weld for repeatable shoulder position.
4. Guaranteed MOA Accuracy when used with prescribed Nosler Ammunition.

5. 1” Recoil Pad and straight stock design reduces felt recoil.

6. Fully free-floating barrel ensures maximum shot to shot accuracy.

7. All external metal surfaces are coated with the NIC Industries Cerakote[emoji769] finish. Designed to protect against rust and wear, Cerakote[emoji769] products can withstand tremendous impact with no coating loss, and can resist corrosion in a variety of tough conditions. We have found Cerakote[emoji769] to be the best firearms finish available.
8. A lightweight aluminum floorplate allows for quick unloading, without adding appreciable weight to the rifle.

9. A textured finish ensures proper grip in cold or wet weather.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loaded some 175gn accubonds with a couple of different powders in various charges. My rings still haven't gotten here. Supposed to be in Thursday now the wait is killing me. Have to move a bunch of cattle this weekend. If I'm lucky I'll get to the range on Sunday. Can't wait too put the magneto speed on and see what the velocity is going to be ! A touch more powder capacity than my beloved 7stw need to find some more brass. So far the only complaint I have with this rifle is I wish the mag box was longer. If someone wanted too use bergers you'd have hell unless the optimum seating depth for those might turn your gun Into a single shot b

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well apparently I need the talley extended front ring ! Damm I hate not being able to buy high quality locally. I'll have to ship the standards back to talley and wait until the correct ones get in. Oh well I sure hope this rifle shoots in a way to make the wait worth it . I'm ready to get to shooting this thing so I can get the barrel broken in and shoot some groups.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't wait to see how it shoots.
I was sent some Bergers for my .308 and they grouped ok and the guy that sent them to me told me to seat them .040" from the lands and try again.

Those shot much tighter groups at .040" than .005"..He stated his guns liked to jump the Berger bullets so i should try it.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I've learned that a short tubed lightweight scope on a magnum length action needs a special set of one piece base/rings from talley. Hopefully it will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday and I can get the scope mounted and finally get this thing to the range. My redding dies arrived and I've loaded a few different bullet/powder combos to try. Using some reduced ultra mag data (based off a formula using case capacity) for some bullets with no published data. If I wasn't stuck on reducing weight on this project I'd have already went with another brand of rings. But talley's are substantially lighter than other options. I'm also considering having the barrel shortened and re crowned and the the bolt fluted in an attempt to shave a few ounces.

Latest posts

Top Bottom