Not Firearm Related, but Some Firearms Owners also Own RV's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will tag @dennishoddy with this message since I know he does some pretty extensive RV'ing. Last year, we happened to be in Idaho and the wife's cousin needed a way to determine how much LPG he had in the LPG cylinders on his RV. I did some searching and found the following product, so we ordered one for him and tried it out on his tanks. After seeing how well it worked, I ordered one for ourselves, even though we have our RV hooked to a 250 gallon LP tank when we are living in our RV. (Still waiting for the work on it to be done so we can move back in.)

Here is a link to the Thuma LevelCheck. The way it works is that one places it against the cylinder at a 90 degree angle and presses on it. If it turns red, there isn't any LPG at that level of the cylinder. If it turns green, then there is LPG at that level. When we tested it on the cousin's cylinders, the outside temperatures were such that one could tell the difference by placing one's hand on the side of the cylinder and the gauge showed the LPG level at the same point. It isn't cheap (roughly $73), but it could save a person a trip to town or wherever to fill a partially filled tank.

Thuma LevelCheck

1670965491100.png

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does it take these days to fill one of those propane tanks on a charcoal grill?
The last time I filled one it was $18.00. I plumbed for natural gas and took out the propane orifice and it (grill) works perfectly.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does it take these days to fill one of those propane tanks on a charcoal grill?
The last time I filled one it was $18.00. I plumbed for natural gas and took out the propane orifice and it (grill) works perfectly.
I heard $26.00, don't know for sure. Thanks Joe Biden.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will tag @dennishoddy with this message since I know he does some pretty extensive RV'ing. Last year, we happened to be in Idaho and the wife's cousin needed a way to determine how much LPG he had in the LPG cylinders on his RV. I did some searching and found the following product, so we ordered one for him and tried it out on his tanks. After seeing how well it worked, I ordered one for ourselves, even though we have our RV hooked to a 250 gallon LP tank when we are living in our RV. (Still waiting for the work on it to be done so we can move back in.)

Here is a link to the Thuma LevelCheck. The way it works is that one places it against the cylinder at a 90 degree angle and presses on it. If it turns red, there isn't any LPG at that level of the cylinder. If it turns green, then there is LPG at that level. When we tested it on the cousin's cylinders, the outside temperatures were such that one could tell the difference by placing one's hand on the side of the cylinder and the gauge showed the LPG level at the same point. It isn't cheap (roughly $73), but it could save a person a trip to town or wherever to fill a partially filled tank.

Thuma LevelCheck

View attachment 328536
What is wrong with these? I have this on my BBQ and it works fine.

1671118507956.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is wrong with these? I have this on my BBQ and it works fine.

View attachment 329056

I'm not sure how those can give an accurate measure of the "level" of the liquid LPG in the tank. It seems to me that they are somehow working off of "pressure" instead of sensing the level. A regular LPG tank, perhaps like that of Mr. Glock's Mercedes motorhome, have a float valve inside the tank that indicates on the gauge what the level is. Cylinders, like the 20#, 30#, and 40# ones, don't have any kind of float.

In the past, I've determined the level in the cylinders by pouring hot water down the side of the cylinder, but even that isn't totally accurate, and outside temperatures can make that method harder to use.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They used to make sticker ones that you applied vertically on the tank. It read the cool temps of the liquid inside. They seemed to be pretty accurate.

I think those are still available, but they have to stay on the same cylinder. (I think...I've never used one.) But, the Truma can be used on other people's cylinders if I want to help them out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom