Not really a surprise: Science again shows that fracking doesn't pollute groundwater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A recent media report on a peer-reviewed study based on 180 samples from water wells near Ohio fracking sites was headlined: “Univ. of Cincy fracking study finds surprising groundwater results.”

What exactly was so surprising?

The report is one of more than two dozen scientific studies published since 2010 that concluded fracking is not a major threat to groundwater. No fewer than 10 peer-reviewed studies examining more than 3,000 water wells across virtually every major U.S. shale play have been released in the past five years, with each one finding no evidence of that fracking has contaminated groundwater.

The reason? As the EPA’s landmark, six-year study on the subject concluded in 2016, “[H]ydraulic fracturing operations are unlikely to generate sufficient pressure to drive fluids into shallow drinking water zones,” due to the fact that the process typically occurs a mile or more below the surface.

To put this another way, even though the claim that fracking contaminates groundwater continues to be a cornerstone of the “Keep It in the Ground” movement’s unrelenting campaign to undermine American energy production, there is simply no credible scientific evidence to support that claim.

The University of Cincinnati report states plainly that researchers “found no increase in methane concentration or composition in groundwater over the four years of the study, despite the presence of new shale gas wells drilled in the study area.” And this took place at a time when drilling surged: When the study period began in 2012, there were 115 drilling permits in the region. By the end of the study period, in 2015, there were more than 1,600 permits.

Basically, there wasn’t a shred of evidence that fracking contaminated water.

This was the complete opposite of what the researchers hypothesized, but to their credit,

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com ...

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like someone was bought off. Why not say fracking doesn't produce Global Warming? It makes as much sense as saying that fracking doesn't pollute groundwater. Of course, groundwater is different that well water I would imagine. Well water is much deeper within the ground.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like someone was bought off. Why not say fracking doesn't produce Global Warming? It makes as much sense as saying that fracking doesn't pollute groundwater. Of course, groundwater is different that well water I would imagine. Well water is much deeper within the ground.

Looking at several sources (yes via Google) it appears that the average drinking water well depth in the US is 100-300 feet with 3000 being the extreme limit. If most fracking is over a statute mile deep that is still a great deal of separation even from the deepest drinking water on average.
I also noticed though I am not (as is obvious) a well or drinking water expert that the phrases drinking water and ground water, in reference to wells, is used almost interchangeably in the literature I could scan.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen cases where the water was anywhere from mere single digits feet below the surface to hundreds of feet. In fact, the closer one gets to the area of a river, one finds the water source gets closer to the surface. We lived on a farm where the well was over 130 feet deep, but about 10 miles north or so, along the Cimarron River, it was about 8 feet down. In fact, we had a windmill with a large casing, and I could climb down into that casing and help clean a screen at the pump.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a house on 58th Street in Tulsa that had a hand driven spike well. It was less than half a mile from the Arkansas River. Too dirty for drinking but free water for the lawn and could have been filtered in an emergency.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My well water is 10' below the ground surface. I put my pump at 30'. I do have 129' of head pressure to pump up the hill to the house and give us adequate pressure at the faucet.
At one time, the base of the hill we live on was the Arkansas river, but over a couple hundred thousands of years, it moved about 3/4 mile west. The sand base and water flowing through the sand provides our water for the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom