Obama Touts Advanced Manufacturing as Jobs Engine in Radio Address

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He also marveled at robots that can defuse a bomb, mow a lawn, even scrape old paint.

They listed these things in the wrong order.

Defuse a bomb? Psssh. My slow nephew can do that. Mow a lawn? Ha!

...what? You mean it can even scrape old paint? The singularity is nigh!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a college-educated fella he's not very bright ... **sigh** ... oh, and for you guys who are gonna point out he is a brilliant legal scholar ... well ... ahem ... errrr ... I rest my case ... ;)

Now adjusting my tin foil for an important announcement ...

You guys better batten down the hatches ... we are headed down the same road Greece is skipping down ...

And now ... back to your regularly scheduled program ...

(oh, and I am sad I missed the "70% are gay" thread ... there was so much potential fun to be had there ... **sigh**)

HVYCHVY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"WASHINGTON -- President Obama says technological innovations such as robots can help pump jobs into the economy and spur growth in clean energy and advanced manufacturing. "

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago Obama was saying ATM machines was one of the causes of lost jobs etc. A robot can work 24/7 as fast as it can without breaks. I think if the govt is going to push robotics, then they need to be revamp the edumaction system to focus on math, sciences, and computers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That boy ain't real bright. Oh wait..... He thinks WE ain't real bright.

Any fool knows that 1st you need a job for the robot to perform. Maybe next time we elect someone whose actually had a job. Just a thought...

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget high speed rail, green energy and shovel-ready jobs. Utopia is just around the corner if only his critics would stop being so negative.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just curious, does anyone think that US manufacturing matters anymore? Everyone so far seems unimpressed with the idea, but let's forget who its coming from for a second. The US has been losing in the manufacturing sector for a while. How would we turn that around, when we're competing against countries with pay rates from the late 1800s, lower safety regulations, and modernish manufacturing technology. Do Americans care?

I, for one, think robotics could lead to the US competing better in manufacturing, even if it pains me to have to agree with Obama on this.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked in manufacturing for over 20 years. What we need are not robots. America still leads the world in technology except in the area of robots, which is just ironic as hell. Japan is the leader there, but we can still hold our own there and unlike what you hear in the news we still lead in many other areas. What we need is to get the .gov the hell out of the way, get rid of the NAFTAs, CASTAs and the whole notion of "not so free trade" agreements, get rid of the endless EPA, OSHA and the myriad other alphabet agencies and their growth stifling regulations and fees (read taxes). When it takes 10 years to complete the permitting process to build a new refinery (that's before you move one speck of dirt) something is really messed up. We need to stop the .gov from telling Boeing where they can and cannot build plants. Yes they just did that and Boeing built it and went into production anyway. :thumb: to Boeing!

In spite of all of this American companies are still profitable, but before long it's going to be bad enough that more and more companies are going to pull a Halliburton and fly the middle finger to the U.S. If Numbnuts gets another 4 years, mark it down, you will see large corporations pulling out of here altogether during his second term. Right now they are in a wait and see mode. They damn sure aren't going to invest any more in this jacked up business climate.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just curious, does anyone think that US manufacturing matters anymore? Everyone so far seems unimpressed with the idea, but let's forget who its coming from for a second. The US has been losing in the manufacturing sector for a while. How would we turn that around, when we're competing against countries with pay rates from the late 1800s, lower safety regulations, and modernish manufacturing technology. Do Americans care?

I, for one, think robotics could lead to the US competing better in manufacturing, even if it pains me to have to agree with Obama on this.

Sadly we probably don't educate enough U.S. born engineers. I could easily see the robotics industry being centered in China or India instead of this country. Want to change this picture? Insist that your kids take the hard subjects and that Oklahoma schools give homework.

Latest posts

Top Bottom