Odocoileus virginianus pic thread 2020/2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 4 doe come it at about 6:30, followed shortly by a little fork who proceeded to chase one doe all over God’s creation. I thought that it is too early for rut so chalked it up to youthful ambition. But then this guy came in and proceeded to run around just as crazy. I could have shot him multiple times with the closest being within 35-40 yds, but I decided earlier this year that I will leave him until at least next year being as he is so young.
17199F44-A5AB-4DA4-8FD2-9BFFC60833F5.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I’m like Victoria and ain’t got no secrets.
I lost my first deer shot with a crossbow, and it’s the first one I’ve lost in many many years. Quartering away shot at 25 yards, and the buck drops like a rock. He thrashes around for about a minute and starts pushing his front end across the ground. He falls again 15 yards in front of my stand and lays there head down with his mouth open panting. I thought he was done. After about 5 minutes of laying there, he starts trying to get up by can’t, but on about the 5th attempt, he gets up and runs off. I lose sight of him after about 50 yards. I get down and find a pool of blood where I shot, a pool where he was laying, and good blood for about 50 yards. By this time the snow is getting heavy and covering the blood and his tracks. To keep from messing anything up, I back out and start calling blood trackers. One just flat turned me down, and the one my son used in Enid is at his real job today and couldn’t come. The guy in Enid advised me to go ahead and take my dog and start looking. I’ve been looking for a needle in a needle stack for over 6 hours, and as thick as this part of my place is, he could be close and not be seen. My dog isn’t trained like my old dog was, so she ended up just having a good old time playing in the snow.
Needless to say, I’m sick about this.:censored:

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I’m like Victoria and ain’t got no secrets.
I lost my first deer shot with a crossbow, and it’s the first one I’ve lost in many many years. Quartering away shot at 25 yards, and the buck drops like a rock. He thrashes around for about a minute and starts pushing his front end across the ground. He falls again 15 yards in front of my stand and lays there head down with his mouth open panting. I thought he was done. After about 5 minutes of laying there, he starts trying to get up by can’t, but on about the 5th attempt, he gets up and runs off. I lose sight of him after about 50 yards. I get down and find a pool of blood where I shot, a pool where he was laying, and good blood for about 50 yards. By this time the snow is getting heavy and covering the blood and his tracks. To keep from messing anything up, I back out and start calling blood trackers. One just flat turned me down, and the one my son used in Enid is at his real job today and couldn’t come. The guy in Enid advised me to go ahead and take my dog and start looking. I’ve been looking for a needle in a needle stack for over 6 hours, and as thick as this part of my place is, he could be close and not be seen. My dog isn’t trained like my old dog was, so she ended up just having a good old time playing in the snow.
Needless to say, I’m sick about this.:censored:

Oh man, good luck , im sure you will find him. He has to be dead fairly close!
I know with you he has to be a stud or you wouldn't have shot

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope ya find him. Look for birds dropping into the brush. I lost a deer at MAAD once. Got back in the stand and noticed birds dropping into the tall grass. Made a mental marker on the spot, and walked right up to it. I'd been within 3' of it at one time. Head high johnson grass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom