ODWC WHIP participants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here has enrolled in the ODWC Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program(WHIP) and if so have any feedback, good or bad.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/lands-and-minerals/landowner-programs/whiphttps://www.wildlifedepartment.com/sites/default/files/2021 WHIP Bulletin.pdf
We are looking to expand some food plots on our 320 ac property so have a heavy equipment contractor lined up to meet on Monday. I had filled out the WHIP application but missed the 12/31/2021 cutoff. Went ahead and reached out to the ODWC anyways and they want to meet with the heavy equipment guy as all can align on what's best for the property. They lean heavily on natural habitat and what it takes to keep and hold deer on your property. ODWC isn't against food plots but they won't pay to expand them whereas they will pay to clear cut some areas to open canopy so ground cover can grow/thrive.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m planning to bring my skid steer up next week to start clearing fence rows in preparation for a prescribed burn, but I heard (haven’t confirmed) that Alfalfa county is under a burn ban. Whether I get to burn this year or not, I still need to do the clearing. My plan is to expand food plot sights too.
I’ve got A BUNCH of cedars, and I found a guy looking for a few cedar logs so will be cutting a few to bring back with me. I had planned to just cut and pile the cedars, but I think I’m going to try to find a market for them.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m planning to bring my skid steer up next week to start clearing fence rows in preparation for a prescribed burn, but I heard (haven’t confirmed) that Alfalfa county is under a burn ban. Whether I get to burn this year or not, I still need to do the clearing. My plan is to expand food plot sights too.
I’ve got A BUNCH of cedars, and I found a guy looking for a few cedar logs so will be cutting a few to bring back with me. I had planned to just cut and pile the cedars, but I think I’m going to try to find a market for them.

You're good, light it. In another month that might be a different story though.

https://forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-info

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find a market, let me know as there are quite a few cedars on one quarter section the ODWC wants removed. If we have any dead standing cedars, I told swampratt that I'd cut him a couple. We've also got quite a few large walnut trees closer to the river. Talking to a mill now about what it would take to get them cut/dried/planed and ready to use for possible countertops in our bunkhouse.

The ODWC rep mentioned some groups that assist with prescribed burns and that local fire depts may assist too for training purposes. Will be following up more on that too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're good, light it. In another month that might be a different story though.

https://forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-info
Yeah, I’ve seen that map, but I read some where that county commissioners have the power to make the call. I just wondered if Cherokee had made a decision without informing the Forestry service. :anyone:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://theperfecttreesaw.com/
i use one of these for ceders and other trees largest i have cut so far is aprox 14 inches

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve seen that map, but I read some where that county commissioners have the power to make the call. I just wondered if Cherokee had made a decision without informing the Forestry service. :anyone:
They do, they're in charge of that counties burn bans, and then relay that to the forestry folks. Forestry and the governor would be the ones making the decision on any statewide or partial statewide burn bans.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom