Off duty officer assault to become felony?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does this mean that if an off duty cop grabs my wife's a$$ in a bar and I swat him that I'm now charged with a felony?

I understand getting followed and assaulted problem and agree but will this proposal, in current form, make officers of the law "untouchable" without fear of being charged with a felony?
http://kfor.com/2015/03/05/assaulting-an-off-duty-police-officer-may-soon-cost-you-more-than-just-a-misdemeanor-charge/

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No.

The law specifically says only if the assault is directly related to the officer's official position or duties.

I don't think we need any more laws or to create another protected class. Assault is already against the law. Stalking is against the law.

S o this is exactly like hate crimes laws many complain about. It's unlawful to stalk and assault Joe the car mechanic but but you get extra charges if you assault Joe the mechanic if it's related to his position or because he worked on your car.

It's unlawful if you assault someone.
It's unlawful if you assault someone for a reason.

Is it more unlawful if you assault a cop?
is it more unlawful if you assault a gay cop?
Is it more unlawful if you assault a gay black cop?

Dumb Law. What's being off duty have to with it?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree bad law for 1 how are you suppose to know he/she is a off duty officer 2 there are to many ( not all) LEO's out there that think they are above the laws they are suppose to be enforcing and the laws dont apply to them so they hide behind the badge to do things they know is against the law 3 anytime a LEO gets in trouble most of the judges and DA's will try to cover it up and let the LEO's get by with it knowing that they have to work with them at some point and wants to keep a good relations.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think we need any more laws or to create another protected class. Assault is already against the law. Stalking is against the law.

S o this is exactly like hate crimes laws many complain about. It's unlawful to stalk and assault Joe the car mechanic but but you get extra charges if you assault Joe the mechanic if it's related to his position or because he worked on your car.

It's unlawful if you assault someone.
It's unlawful if you assault someone for a reason.

Is it more unlawful if you assault a cop?
is it more unlawful if you assault a gay cop?
Is it more unlawful if you assault a gay black cop?

Dumb Law. What's being off duty have to with it?

I completely agree.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't assault people, so I don't really need to know their profession, so I'm not too worried about it.............

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't assault people, so I don't really need to know their profession, so I'm not too worried about it.............

"assault" has a very loose definition.

If you're bigger than someone, point your finger at them, and say "I oughta beat you for that", that's enough for "assault" (threat with the means to immediately carry it out), especially if you don't get along with the local DA.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it only applies if your specifically targeting off duty police. We've had a steep raise of cops being targeted off work in the last couple years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom