Officer suffers panic attack and must be disarmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
[video]
Published on Oct 17, 2017SEVIERVILLE, Tenn., — A Sevier County Sheriff’s Office deputy opened fire without warning in a mobile home park, suffered an apparent panic attack four minutes later and was forcibly disarmed by a paramedic, body camera footage shows. Deputy Justin Johnson did not mention the panic attack in his report on the December 2016 incident, and he remains on active duty, court records show. Brian Keith Mullinax, 41, and his girlfriend, Tina Carrie Jo Cody, 37, spent 42 days in jail on felony charges, accused of causing what was described in court statements as a "panic attack" and which a detective called "some type of cardiac event." They remain under prosecution on misdemeanor charges, court records show.

Tulsa sheriff's deputy material

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scary stuff. Man being a police officer is a nightmare. My hats off to you guys that deal with this kind of crap day in and day out. Wonder long it will take before the liberals start screaming for this guy to be fired and put in prison.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never seen anyone have a sudden meltdown like that.

If it wasn’t reported and still on duty, now that the video is out I’m pretty sure he will brought in and evaluated now.

Excessive Adrenaline rush?
PTSD?
Fear?
Emotional problems?
Some medical condition combined with the Adrenaline?

I’m not a doctor, but I think something was going on. I don’t think it was the situation by itself, but the situation may have been the trigger to the meltdown.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing against him, but if for some reason my neighbor was surrounded by cops with guns drawn beside my house, this cop would be the last person I'd want to be a part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
THE story
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...d-fire-suffered-panic-attack-video/763499001/
Sevier sheriff defends deputy who opened fire, suffered panic attack on video

Jamie SatterfieldUpdated 18 hours ago

The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office is refusing to answer questions about a deputy who video and court records show opened fire without warning in a mobile home park and later suffered a panic attack while armed.

Sheriff Ron “Hoss” Seals acknowledged in a Facebook post on the agency’s website Monday he purposely did not respond to a USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee query about Deputy Justin Johnson. He cited the newspaper’s story, published on its website Monday, as the cause for his Facebook post.

636434900246153778-bodycam9.png

A Sevier County Sheriff’s Office deputy opened fire in a mobile home park, suffered an apparent ...more

Still from video

“We are not free to make public comment on any criminal case until it has been adjudicated,” Seals wrote in the post. “One of the most difficult tasks that I face as sheriff is remaining quiet while public scrutiny and speculation runs rampant.”

Sheriff: 'Split-second' decision
Johnson fired seven shots without warning in a mobile home park on Sharp Road in December 2016 and then ran away from two suspects, leaving two unarmed paramedics behind with them, footage from his body camera showed.

Johnson suffered a panic attack four minutes after he opened fire, the video and court testimony showed. A paramedic disarmed him but returned the gun to him while Johnson was still hyperventilating, the video showed. Brian Mullinax, 41, who was unarmed and on the ground when Johnson suffered the panic attack, is facing trial on an assault charge for causing it.

Johnson did not mention the panic attack in his report. He remains on active duty. USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee has asked to review his personnel file, any internal investigation related to the Sharp Road incident and any use of force reports typically required when a law enforcement officer discharges his weapon on duty. The agency was reviewing the request Monday.

Although Seals said he could not discuss the case, he mentioned Johnson in his post.

“Deputy Johnson responded to a situation that in an instant called for a split-second-response,” Seals wrote. “I’ve served this community for over 40 years and even though I cannot comment specifically on this incident, I can and will say without hesitation that every deputy at the Sevier County Sheriff’s Office does the best that he or she can given the dynamic, complicated, stressful, dangerous and fluid situations that we are called to mediate every time a call for help is dispatched.”

Assault via panic attack
Johnson was summoned to the mobile home park by paramedics after an overweight woman who had fallen inside a camper-style trailer began making complaints about her landlord and accusing the landlord and her daughter, Tina Carrie Jo Cody, 37, of stealing her purse, records showed.

636434900061448594-bodycam3.png

A Sevier County Sheriff’s Office deputy opened fire in a mobile home park, suffered an apparent ...more

Still from video

When Cody walked from the yard of the trailer and climbed through a fence into a field, Johnson drew his gun but instead of walking toward her or issuing commands, he ran around another mobile home, blocking his view of her, walked onto Sharp Road and then headed toward the field, the video showed.

Johnson, with help from a paramedic, was trying to handcuff Cody, who was on the ground, when Mullinax, her boyfriend, walked out of a trailer in front of Johnson and, according to testimony, began yelling that he was filming Johnson with his cell phone.

Johnson wrote in his report that he heard a sound behind him and then turned to see an armed suspect on the porch of a mobile home behind him. The video showed Mullinax was on a porch of a trailer facing Johnson.

Johnson issued no warning and fired over the paramedic’s head.

Johnson immediately ran away after firing the shots. When he returned to the location in the field where a paramedic still had Cody on the ground, he yelled at Mullinax, “You drop that (expletive) thing. Do it now.”

Mullinax dropped the phone and got on the ground. He yelled a complaint but did not threaten violence.

Trial delayed
Mullinax and Cody spent 42 days in jail on felony aggravated assault charges filed against them by SCSO and directly accusing them of causing Johnson’s panic attack.

The couple were held without a preliminary hearing for weeks. The law requires such a hearing for jailed suspects within 10 business days of arrest. A judge in March tossed out the felony charges, but sent the case to a Sevier County grand jury review.

The grand jury rejected charges Cody caused Johnson’s panic attack, instead indicting her for resisting arrest. The grand jury indicted Mullinax on a misdemeanor assault charge. The case was set for trial this week but is expected to be delayed.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, if that's not the definition of "material omission" I dunno what is. If I was a criminal defense attorney I'd be pulling every clients file to see who the arresting/reporting officer was.

Nevermind what I think about this person's lack of fitness for the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom