Ohio Man Arrested for Possessing a Gun in a Movie Theater - was a crime committed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the link:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/07/ohio-man-allegedly-brings-handgun-extra-ammo-into-movie-theater/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is the text for the linking challenged:

Authorities say a Cleveland-area man has been arrested for carrying a gun, ammunition and several knives into a showing of the "The Dark Knight Rises."

Scott Smith, 37, was arrested and charged after police discovered a loaded 9-mm. handgun, two additional ammo magazines and four knives, police say.

The manager at the theater and a security guard reportedly noticed Smith’s odd behavior prior to his arrest. He was an hour early for the 10 p.m. film, and he sat alone with a satchel in the back row of the theater waiting for the film to begin at the Regal Cinemas at Crocker Park.

The security guard, an off-duty police officer, asked Smith if he could look inside the bag and discovered the weapons, police say.

Security in movie theaters across the country has intensified after the July shooting in Aurora, Colo., that killed 12 and wounded 58.

A search warrant for Smith’s home was obtained by authorities and numerous weapons were seized, police say. He also allegedly had hundreds of pictures of guns on his phone.

Smith is currently held in the Westlake City jail awaiting transfer to Cuyahoga County’s jail. He has been charged on six counts related to the incident, including charges violating Ohio’s gun laws.

Police say that Smith could be facing additional charges related to the incident.

Smith has no prior criminal record, police say.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what crime did this man commit?
I checked (with an app so it might be less than lawyer-quality info) Ohio gun law and movie theaters are not, as a group, prohibited areas. So unless he lacked a weapons permit (not mentioned in the article) he appears to have been legal. His weapons at home should have been legal too - there is no Ohio registration requirement. Maybe he violated the theater's "No Gun" policy if they had one but again this wasn't mentioned. I am not sure if this is a case of over-reaction or poor reporting so that critical facts are missing.

What say you?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He had no carry permit. Yes, he was illegal but man they are taking this guy to the cleaners.

Where did you read or hear that he had no permit? If that is true then the article was poorly written - at the very least the writer should have mentioned that point or that it was yet to be determined, etc.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Umm knowing the laws will help keep you out of trouble. Based on the story I think they went a bit overboard with the search warrant for the house. Although we have no idea what the guy said when questioned. Also if you look at the Ft. Hood shooting, the movie theater shooting, and the temple shooting Law Enforcement along with non law enforcement types are taking a beating for not reporting and or not acting on tips they received prior to those shootings.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who carries their gun in a satchel? The gun, two mags and a knife or two isn't excessive, but four knives? Was he there to skin a buffalo? The odd behavior mentioned probably had more to do with it than anything else. I'm a pretty big gun nut and I don't have pics of hundreds of guns on my phone (assuming they didn't use "journalism math")

I can't say the response was excessive because I wasn't there. it may have been overkill or it may have been prudent. What I'm 100% sure of is that you'll never get a clear and accurate depiction of the incident and follow up from news reports. Accuracy simply isn't important to them in the grand scheme of things.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the guy had a smart phone and they could access his photobucket then 100's of guns might be possible but people who own 100's of guns arent usually idiots as 100's of guns are $$$ and people who have $$$ arent usually stupid.

I am saying the guy was a nutjob based on the 4 knives and 100's of pictures of guns. I hope we see a ban on assault and tactical military grade knives come out of this incident. There is no way civilians should have access to such dangerous equipment.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the guy had a smart phone and they could access his photobucket then 100's of guns might be possible but people who own 100's of guns arent usually idiots as 100's of guns are $$$ and people who have $$$ arent usually stupid.

I am saying the guy was a nutjob based on the 4 knives and 100's of pictures of guns. I hope we see a ban on assault and tactical military grade knives come out of this incident. There is no way civilians should have access to such dangerous equipment.
I dont see the sarcasm smiley....you are being sarcastic ....correct/
NO more Laws!!!!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100's of pictures of guns. I better throw out all my magazines and catalogs that have pictures of guns in them. Oops, better erase the drive on this computer too. Have to be thorough.

:gun2: This guy has to go too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom