OHP ride-a-long?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i ride with a trooper buddy of mine all the time, you are definitely NOT ALLOWED to carry a weapon with you. when they call it in to their dispatch that they have a ride along with them they will, or should, hand you the phone to speak with the dispatch and they will ask you if you are armed and if you are they will ask you for your CLEET cert number, if you dont have one, you dont get to carry a weapon. the trooper will tell you that you have to leave the scene if something bad happens, but if he is a friend of yours then he probably knows that you wont just leave him hanging. my buddy always tells me where his back-up is and how to get the AR and shot gun out. bottom line is if you use YOUR weapon and the investigation happens you are in trouble and your buddy probably looses his job if he knew you had your weapon with you.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places
UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed
handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma
Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the
following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased
by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for
the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials,
school board members, legislative members, or any other elected
or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process,
hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged
delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school, or technology center school
property;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.
B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this
section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes
the following property:
1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended
or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal
governmental authority,

So is it legal for me to carry when I go with my OHP buddy on a ride-a-long? Yes I do have my CCW.

I don't see anything there that would forbid it and make it illegal

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anything there that would forbid it and make it illegal

Department policy for OHP. I went unarmed.

And I got the same lecture everyone else gets ... something happens you leave and radio in. Yeah, right ... sure thing baby ... :lookaroun

We actually did wind up in a rather tense situation on the southside of downtown. And I actually did get out of the car and walk around to the door where the shotgun and AR were racked and opened it, all the while looking at "Mr. Youse's Just Pickin On Him" spectator running his mouth, trying to get everyone wound up. Asshat went back in the house and stayed there.

I didn't find it to be all that enjoyable ... those guys have a job you couldn't pay me to do ... :o

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now as has been mentioned by others if he's a friend he probably has a backup within reach, (the first time I did a ride along I was asked where my gun was and got an eye roll and directions to where the backup .38 was located), or in my case my pistol was "secured" by the trooper to used as his "backup pistol"(basically stuck in a cup holder on the passenger side of the radio).

Yeah I did the ride along thing a couple of times and am amazed at some of the stupid things people do, it was a real eye opener and made me appreciate the job those guys do.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Department policy for OHP. I went unarmed.

And I got the same lecture everyone else gets ... something happens you leave and radio in. Yeah, right ... sure thing baby ... :lookaroun

We actually did wind up in a rather tense situation on the southside of downtown. And I actually did get out of the car and walk around to the door where the shotgun and AR were racked and opened it, all the while looking at "Mr. Youse's Just Pickin On Him" spectator running his mouth, trying to get everyone wound up. Asshat went back in the house and stayed there.

I didn't find it to be all that enjoyable ... those guys have a job you couldn't pay me to do ... :o

Im sure there are policies that make it a no no but as far as being illegal I saw nothing in the SDA that said no thats a liability issue.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im sure there are policies that make it a no no but as far as being illegal I saw nothing in the SDA that said no thats a liability issue.

I am curious ... why would anyone think that they could use what is or is not covered in the SDA to address a departmental issue??

Ride-a-longs are a discretionary departmental courtesy, not something a civilian is entitled to. If you are granted permission to go on a ride along it is with the understanding that you will follow departmental policies in that regard and you do sign a waiver to that affect.

ETA: I just realized you are not the OP, so you may not know the answer to my question, which is an honest question by the way and not me being pissy.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know that this would be such a gray area. I think I'll just play it safe and leave the CCW at home. We are in rural NW Oklahoma and it is not quite like N.E. 10th or the southside of okc. I'll take my chances and let my buddy do the shooting if need be.:thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom