Oil change intervals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea whether or not Amsoil has any diesel BMW information?

I use the BMW oil but service it myself but ran Amsoil on my 2002 Road King and really liked it. Never thought of running it in the BMW but I would if the information supports it.

Please reach out if any of you know an Amsoil dude.
Amsoil has several oils that should work. Some of their European formulas are certified to LL-04 and Longlife-04 which cover diesel service in BMW engines. You can look it up on their site by plugging in the make and year on Amsoils website.

I've been running Amsoil in my stuff exclusively for close to 30 years now.

Arnie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amsoil has several oils that should work. Some of their European formulas are certified to LL-04 and Longlife-04 which cover diesel service in BMW engines. You can look it up on their site by plugging in the make and year on Amsoils website.

I've been running Amsoil in my stuff exclusively for close to 30 years now.
I'll second this.
I've been using AMSOIL for 10 years now, gasoline, diesel, and antique engines.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Service intervals from an engineer that does oil testing for a living.

You have to apply context to that video. Those guys' customer base run the gamut but probably 90% of those customers are buying their oil from Walmart or just getting whatever is in the barrel at the quicklube they use.

Step up to a premium synthetic like Amsoil signature series or Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, or use one of the better tier European synthetics and things change dramatically. The one guy talking about oil analysis at the end was spot on with that.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to apply context to that video. Those guys' customer base run the gamut but probably 90% of those customers are buying their oil from Walmart or just getting whatever is in the barrel at the quicklube they use.

Step up to a premium synthetic like Amsoil signature series or Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, or use one of the better tier European synthetics and things change dramatically. The one guy talking about oil analysis at the end was spot on with that.
Yeah, the engineer at the end is what I was pointing out.

The engineer talks about how soot oil contamination in diesels is the biggest contributor to engine wear and how the oil ring design reduces the soot getting into the oil.

The zinc balance in oil is what caught my attention. Not enough zinc causes wear. Too much zinc causes wear and will contaminate the catalytic converter.

The engineer has interesting detail on different wear factors that most people never considered.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run Rotella and go 10,000 between changes. Never had a bad sample come back from the lab....but then again it is an 11 qt. system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom