ok, got one for ya 9mm j-frame???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrucheese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is the question... smith makes the 640 j-frame that is chambered in .357mag and cut for moon clips. in theory could a person fire 9mm rounds out of this revolver. why or why not?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no gunsmith at all, but I've seen the 9mm j frames at the range and heard the explanation.

The bore is close enough, but the chambers for .38 Spl (or .357) and 9mm Luger aren't. 0.379 diameter on the .38, 0.391 on the 9mm, and the 9mm case is actually tapered from back to front. A .38 chamber can be machined to reliably take 9mm Luger cartridges, but then is somewhat oversize for .38/.357.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/cartridge.htm

I believe there was also a difference in the clips used for 9mm, since the clips fit in the extracor groove, not around the full body like the .38.

Maybe one of the gunsmiths will come along to answer with more detail.

theonetrucheese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had seen the 940's and did notice a little bit of a high price tag...with charter arms toying around with the semi-auto cartridges maybe smith will bring theirs back...rod, thank you for reminding me about cases, i had just been focusing on bullet measurement differences and with the 9mm being .356ish and the .357/38 being .358 it seemed plausible, i now see why not and will just have to keep waiting/looking for a factory set gun

Latest posts

Top Bottom