Ok what happened here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are not hand loads, but they were very old. Prob. 30 yrs or so. They didn't feel like they were over pressure or anything, but it is just a 38. Pistol was an old S&W mod 10 4" that my grandfather went ahead and padded down to me. The ammo was what was in it and had been for the length of time mentioned earlier. All were tight and showed signs of bulging but the split one I had to force out with cleaning rod. So Amy idea? Just old ammo? And if so is this common? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 162

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A phenomenon know as season cracking. Cartridge brass is cold worked which can lead to high residual stresses. Over time the brass may weaken from exposure to ammonia in the atmosphere and cause microscopic fractures which cause the case to rupture when fired.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will get rid of what's left. The other 5 bulged but didn't rupture. But no chances from me. Guess I should have fired one and then ejected to check. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom