OKCGC Action Rifle Match 8/29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking forward to this match. Couple of newbie questions:

What sort of secondary/ gun handling gear should we bring? I assume rifle handling protocols are like Steel Challenge -- bring your long gun to the line in a bag?

Also: are on-body spare magazine carriers not critical, since the stages are typically less than 30 rounds? (I was just planning to use my back jeans pocket to carry a spare mag.)

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bags are not required. We follow IMG rules as far as handling. Gun will be racked with chamber open and/or a chamber flag inserted. When you are the next shooter, and if the RO is available, he will either walk to the rack with you or call next shooter. At that time, you will handle your rifle, muzzle up, and chamber open or flag inserted. There will be no handling of charging/operating handle until the "make ready" command is given.

Magazines may be anywhere on the shooter at the waistline or below. Chest rigs are not recommended and highly discouraged. We treat these matches as a sport versus a tactical scenario.

Make sure you bring your thick skin and your sense of humor. We like to have fun and shoot a bunch. There will be 5 stages and 1 is definitely over 30 rounds. The rest could be, but that is up to the shooter! ;)

Looking forward to meeting some new folks. We will have an old hat on each squad to make sure nobody goes dumb..

M

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking forward to this match. Couple of newbie questions:

What sort of secondary/ gun handling gear should we bring? I assume rifle handling protocols are like Steel Challenge -- bring your long gun to the line in a bag?

Also: are on-body spare magazine carriers not critical, since the stages are typically less than 30 rounds? (I was just planning to use my back jeans pocket to carry a spare mag.)

First of all don't ever compare an action rifle match to steel challenge! :angry3: this actually requires that you move around with a sense of urgency. LOL!

I have 5-6 mag pouches. You are welcome to borrow one if you like. I'll throw them all in my bag. Just track me and my little gay green wagon down before the match.

Chris_Andersen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently in Indianapolis, going to get to ride my motorcycle on the speedway gp track tomorrow, as well as take in the race this weekend, and still jealous that I don't get to shoot rifles with you guys saturday! This is a sickness.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently in Indianapolis, going to get to ride my motorcycle on the speedway gp track tomorrow, as well as take in the race this weekend, and still jealous that I don't get to shoot rifles with you guys saturday! This is a sickness.

Yeah that would suck to have to race around Indy while we are shooting. Bummer!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I for one would allow Chest rigs! There is nothing in the world that will show someone how slow their gear is than a rifle stage that has a couple of mag changes. Now I would prefer it not have all the other stuff hanging off of it (pistol, pistol mags, flash light, hydration system, binoculars, type 3 med kit, Plates etc.), but if is what you have....why not? If you stay with this type of shooting you will not use it for long, and if you don't you will have a much better idea of what you need. BUT if you show up in one you must wear it the ENTIRE time, no matter how hot it is!